49ers ‘Gold Digger Program’ not paying off on defense, yet

first_imgSANTA CLARA — A cleverly named “Gold Digger Program” is meant to reward 49ers defenders for exceptional plays and effort.For example, interceptions, in the rare instances they happen, would count. The daily prize is a gold-colored football emblazoned with defensive coordinator Robert Saleh’s mantras — “All Gas, No Brake” and “Extreme Violence.”The 49ers defenders haven’t lacked effort a week into training camp. But interceptions remain scarce, a replay of last season’s takeaway trauma that …last_img

49ers vs. Falcons: Who wins bragging rights between cousins McGlinchey, Ryan?

first_imgSANTA CLARA — Mike McGlinchey fondly recalls a “friendly” basketball game before his junior year in high school, when, already at 6-foot-8, he dunked on a pro athlete.It was his cousin, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan. Sorry, no proof a viral-video exits.“That’s kind of the cool thing about it, that it’s just folklore, because there were no cameras,” McGlinchey, the 49ers right tackle, said Wednesday, ahead of facing his cousin and the Falcons on Sunday at Levi’s Stadium.San Francisco …last_img

PEI scraps business immigration program criticized for oversight problems

first_imgCHARLOTTETOWN – Prince Edward Island is scrapping a controversial business immigration program which prompted federal investigations alleging hundreds of applicants never settled on the Island.The provincial government said Wednesday it will no longer accept applications from immigrants looking to set up a business on the Island in the entrepreneur stream of the Provincial Nominee Program.The immigration program has faced criticism for granting permanent residency status — a coveted step towards full citizenship — before businesses were set up and people actually moved to P.E.I.Under the program, the applicants provide the Island government with a $200,000 refundable deposit, and commit to invest $150,000 and manage a firm.A spokesman for the Office of Immigration says in 2016-17 over half of all the 269 applicants who had “completed their agreements” forfeited their deposit and never opened a business, raising $18 million for the small province.In addition, last year The Canadian Press reported on how three international students were asked by owners of businesses created under the program to return a portion of their wages to the business immigrants. In one case, a student said he was fired when he refused, and in two other cases, the students said they agreed to give back a portion of their income in cash.Progressive Conservative Leader James Aylward said Wednesday the program bred public distrust and should have been cancelled years ago.“It never passed the sniff test,” he said in an interview.“Our retention rate was dismal … The government raked tens of millions of dollars from defaulted deposits.”The province had said it was conducting a review into the program, shortly after a series of investigations by the Canada Border Services Agency became public.The Canadian Press also recently reported on a search warrant application by the agency that alleged hundreds of people gained permanent residency in Canada by using local addresses where they didn’t live, using the PNP entrepreneur stream.An investigator alleged 462 applicants to the provincial nominee program used Charlottetown homes belonging to two Chinese immigrants over the past four years as “addresses of convenience.”The investigator also said she suspected the immigrants didn’t come to the Island and settle, contrary to the requirements of the provincial program.Those allegations, which have not been proven in court, came two months after two Charlottetown hoteliers were charged with aiding in immigration fraud, with the CBSA alleging 566 immigrants used the addresses of the siblings’ hotel and home.The siblings have pleaded not guilty to immigration fraud charges, and their lawyer, Lee Cohen, has said there will be discussion with prosecutors about the sworn statements provided by the two accused.Cohen says he’s suggested “the possibility that the statements were not voluntarily given” in the case.Chris Palmer, the province’s minister of Economic Development, said in an interview that he wasn’t forced by the federal government to shut down the program, despite the high-profile investigations.“The feds didn’t intervene and tell us to do this, no,” he said.Rather, he said it was due to his department’s disappointment with its results in retaining immigrants on the Island.“We weren’t satisfied with it as our rates of retention weren’t as high as we wanted them to be,” he said.However, Richard Kurland, an immigration lawyer based in Vancouver, said he sees a relationship between Ottawa’s probes and the shutdown of the program.“Trials involving the P.E.I. program start soon, so no surprise to see the P.E.I. government shutting down the program before all is revealed,” he wrote in an email.Kurland has long argued the Island’s system should mirror British Columbia’s program, which approves a business project first, makes the person spend two years on a work permit to ensure business success, and then requires the applicant to live near the business at least nine months a year.“Only after that is done and the business is successful will the province hand over a ‘nomination certificate’ that lets the person apply for a permanent resident visa,” he wrote.“P.E.I. had it backwards, handing over the ‘nomination certificate’ first. That’s not the way to go and the … design flaw gave rise to a lot of problems.”“Keep the candy until the person lives up to their promises.”The province is noting that the entrepreneur stream is only a small part of the total number of immigrants it nominates.It will continue to have a program where it nominates immigrants for work permits, where they will only be granted permanent residency if they fulfil their commitments to set up a business.It will also continue to nominate immigrants who fill the province’s labour needs.The number of nominations accepted under the nominee stream currently totals about 150 people, which is about 15 per cent of the roughly 1,070 provincially sponsored immigrants expected to be nominated this year.Follow (at)mtuttoncporg on Twitter.— By Michael Tutton in Halifax.last_img read more

Mayor Faulconer appoints San Diego FireRescue Veteran as new Fire Chief

first_img Posted: July 11, 2018 July 11, 2018 KUSI Newsroom 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – After a three-month national search, Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer today announced the appointment of Heartland Fire & Rescue Chief Colin Stowell as the next chief of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department (SDFD).Stowell began his firefighting career at SDFD in 1988 and served in every rank in the department, including Assistant Chief, before leaving in 2016 to lead Heartland Fire.Stowell, who was strongly recommended by both the community and professional interview panels, brings a wide-range of experience that will benefit the department and its more than 1,200 firefighters, lifeguards and support staff.“Chief Stowell was born and raised here in San Diego and spent the majority of his firefighting career protecting our neighborhoods and our residents,” Mayor Faulconer said. “He has the right experience at the right time to continue the major investments we’re making in public safety and lead this department into the future. It’s great to bring Chief Stowell back to SDFD where it all started.”Chief Stowell will take over the department following recent significant investments made by Mayor Faulconer and the City Council, including new firefighting helicopters and the construction or renovation of nine fire stations over the last three years.As San Diego’s Assistant Fire Chief, Chief Stowell oversaw the Emergency Operations division, which includes 48 fire stations, lifeguard services, the training division, emergency medical services, and special operations comprising hazardous materials, air operations, the bomb squad, and fire investigations. He led more than 845 sworn personnel and 240 full-time or seasonal lifeguards.“My career in the fire service began as a member of this great organization. There is no higher honor, personally or professionally, than to have the opportunity to build on this history by leading this esteemed department and its dedicated members in the coming years,” Stowell said. “As Fire Chief, I recognize the critical importance of continuing to provide compassionate and professional emergency services that distinguish this department, and ones that citizens and visitors to our city both deserve and expect. Fortunately, the city leaders and elected officials are tremendous advocates of the fire service in San Diego, and I feel extremely optimistic moving forward with such support and shared commitment to these priorities.”Chief Stowell previously held leadership roles in the SDFD’s operations and emergency medical services divisions. As a Captain, he served as the department’s Wellness Officer and developed the initial concept and procedures for SDFD’s regional Wellness Program. As a Deputy Chief and Assistant Fire Chief, he served on the San Diego All-Hazards Incident Management team as Incident Commander and Operations Section Chief.“Colin Stowell is lauded by his peers, and respected by other fire agencies,” said City Councilmember Chris Cate, Chair of the Public Safety and Livable Neighborhoods committee. “I’m excited for what will come under Colin’s leadership.”Chief Stowell spent the past few years as chief of Heartland Fire & Rescue, which serves the cities of El Cajon, La Mesa and Lemon Grove. There he has been responsible for management and oversight of 127 sworn and civilian fire department staff, policy administration, development of four separate operating budgets as well as capital improvement projects, contract negotiations and oversight, and emergency management coordination with other city departments.“I am pleased to welcome Chief Colin Stowell back to the City of San Diego. We are fortunate to have such an experienced and capable manager for our Fire-Rescue Department,” said City Councilmember Lorie Zapf. “I look forward working with Chief Stowell to deliver the best public safety services to the residents of San Diego.”Feedback from community and professional panels were important factors in Mayor Faulconer’s ultimate decision to appoint Chief Stowell.Community and professional officials who participated in the interview process were:Dimitrios Alexiou, Hospital Association of San Diego CountyRonald Cho, Park and Recreation BoardGeorge Durado, San Diego City Firefighters Association Local 145Jim Geering, Chula Vista Fire ChiefStephen Groce, Human Relations CommissionSusan Jester, Citizens Equal Opportunity CommissionRick Robinson, Oceanside Fire ChiefWendy Robinson, San Diego Fire-Rescue FoundationChris Vanos, Teamsters 911Nick Wright, Municipal Employees Association.Chief Stowell will succeed Kevin Ester, who has served as Interim Chief since April when former Chief Brian Fennessy left the department for a similar position in Orange County. Ester will remain in a leadership role within SDFD.The City Council is expected to hold Stowell’s confirmation hearing later this month.Chief Stowell earned his Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration from San Diego State University, holds an associate’s degree in fire science from Miramar College and completed the Executive Fire Officer Program at the National Fire Academy. He is a native San Diegan who lives in San Diego with his wife and two teenage children. Mayor Faulconer appoints San Diego Fire-Rescue Veteran as new Fire Chief KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Chula Vista residents win battle over new car wash

first_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – 82 year old Judy Wilson has lived in her home in Chula Vista for 45 years, calling it her peaceful sanctuary.For years now there have been talks about building a car wash right beneath her home, 43 feet away from her back fence.It might look like an empty parking lot right now, but the plan calls for a 2,400 square foot building with an 85 foot long car wash tunnel. That includes 12 vacuum stations in the parking lot.“The noise coming out of that is like an airplane revving up at Lindbergh Field it is so loud” says Wilson.She’s concerned about the noise, the traffic and most importantly her health, because she’s toxic sensitive. There used to be a gas station here and she says it could have contaminated the soil beneath it.“When I get hit with something like that, it closes up my throat, I can barely breathe, I ache in every part of my body and I just can’t function right.”Neil Capin, the owner of the proposed car wash, says he’s gone above and beyond to address these concerns. He’s willing to install a sound wall up, add vegetation and landscaping to soften the noise, and even open an hour later every day.City leaders gave the car wash a stamp of approval but challenges and appeals quickly followed. Tonight Chula Vista City Council voted 4-1 against the car wash’s construction. January 22, 2019 Chula Vista residents win battle over new car wash , center_img Posted: January 22, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more