Puerto Rico’s Governor Resists Call for Federal Supervision of Electricity-Grid Recovery

first_imgPuerto Rico’s Governor Resists Call for Federal Supervision of Electricity-Grid Recovery FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:The federal board overseeing Puerto Rico’s finances said on Wednesday it intends to appoint an outside manager to lead the island’s power utility, PREPA, in cleanup efforts following Hurricane Maria.But Puerto Rico’s government is pushing back on the move, and may challenge it in court as an unauthorized power grab, according to a source familiar with Governor Ricardo Rossello’s thinking.The board, in a written statement, announced “intent to appoint” retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Noel Zamot as PREPA’s chief transformation officer.Zamot, who has worked with the board in a separate capacity, would be responsible for expediting reconstruction efforts, the board said.U.S. lawmakers have criticized PREPA’s hiring of Montana-based Whitefish Energy Holdings to help fix the island’s power grid, decimated when Hurricane Maria made landfall on Sept. 20. Some Congress members were concerned that Whitefish was hired without a bidding process, and despite the fact that the two-year-old firm had only two full-time employees.The controversy reawakened feelings among lawmakers and Puerto Rican investors that officials at PREPA are not competent to lead the quasi-public utility, whose $9 billion debt load pushed it into bankruptcy in July.The storm cut power to the entire island. As of Monday, just 18 percent had been restored, according to U.S. Department of Energy data.The board’s announcement on Wednesday was also reigniting an ongoing power struggle between Puerto Rico’s government and the board appointed last year to manage the island’s precarious finances.Created under a federal Puerto Rico rescue law known as PROMESA, the board is to help Puerto Rico regain access to capital markets after it filed the largest-ever U.S. government bankruptcy in May.More: Puerto Rico oversight panel seeks outside manager for power utility PREPAlast_img read more

Syracuse tennis loses 6-1 to No. 7 Miami as 5-game win streak ends

first_imgNo. 32 Syracuse (12-7, 6-7 Atlantic Coast) had its five-game winning streak snapped on Friday as it lost 6-1 to No.7 Miami (16-4, 11-2) in Coral Gables, Florida.Syracuse started the day by losing a 2-0 sweep in doubles. The duo of Gabriella Knutson and Valeria Salazar never had a chance to make a difference as the pairings of Dina Hegab and Nicole Mitchell as well as Anna Shkudun and Maria Tritou lost their matches by scores of 6-2 and 6-3, respectively.Syracuse went down 1-0 after losing the doubles point and losing its first four singles matches officially put the match out of reach.Salazar lost her singles match in two sets, 6-3, 6-2. Tritou then lost her match in two sets, 6-0, 6-4. Next, Shkudun lost her match in two sets, 6-1, 6-2. Fourth, Libi Mesh also got swept in two sets, 6-1, 6-4.Knutson won her match, 7-5, 6-3, to secure Syracuse’s only point of the afternoon and avoid the shutout.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWith the match already won by Miami, Hegab lost her match, 7-5, 6-2.Syracuse plays its final game of the regular season against No. 30 Virginia Tech (14-7, 7-5) on Sunday at Drumlins Country Club before heading to the ACC Tournament in Cary, North Carolina on Wednesday. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 15, 2016 at 4:22 pm Contact Jake: [email protected]last_img read more