Uniformity needed for food hygiene appraisal

first_imgA nationwide ratings system for food hygiene needs to be implemented as soon as pos-sible, bakery retailers have told British Baker.The Food Standards Agency is currently consulting on a nationwide ’Scores on the Doors’ scheme, which finishes in August. Under the voluntary proposals, all food businesses will be asked to display the results of hygiene inspections in their shops.But until the new scheme is implemented, bakeries and cafés are stuck with a range of approaches, depending on their local authority, with some using five-star ratings systems and others using symbols.The current system is “subjective rather than objective” and unfair according to Thomas Adams, managing director of Northampton craft bakery Oliver Adams, while Mike Holling, retail operations director of Birds of Derby said the system “does need uniformity”. Birds’ shops are currently covered by 13 different health authorities. Holling said: “Some are working to a three-star system, some to a five-star and some authorities haven’t got around to it yet.”Other bakery retailers say they would support Scores on the Doors, even though the current system is not causing them problems. Coughlans MD Sean Coughlan said he would support a nationwide scheme, but pointed out that all businesses should be working to set hygiene standards, whatever the system.President of the National Association of Master Bakers Chris Beaney said environmental health officers can have differing approaches and often concentrate on paperwork rather than on how clean the bakery is. “As long as we’re treated the same way and know what the rules are, we’ll be OK,” he said.The FSA’s board is expected to confirm details of the scheme before the end of the year.l Food and drink sector skills council Improve has called on the government to untangle the “spaghetti of bureaucracy” faced by smaller firms. Speaking at a Parliamentary debate, called ’Building the Next British Food Brand’, chief executive Jack Matthews said that a recurring theme in small companies was the regulatory burden in areas such as health and safety and food hygiene, squeezing resources from other areas of the business.—-=== In Short ===== Bakery sale ==Scottish bakery M Corson Bakers, based in Castle Douglas, has been put up for sale as a going concern for £1.25 million. The bakery, founded in the 1800s, is seeking a buyer for its main retail site and bakehouse in Castle Douglas and its three other retail shops in Castle Douglas, Dalbeattie and Kirkcudbright, which are all included in the sale.== Revamped Nichols ==The first of North East Bakery’s rebranded Nichols retail shops opened in Crowtree, Sunderland, on 16 July. The 14 outlets acquired from Milligan’s Bakeries are being refitted and rebranded over the next 12 months, with another planned to open in Cramlington next month, and in Newcastle in September.== Consumers go over to the dark side ==Sales of dark chocolate have increased dramatically, according to a report by Mintel, and could overtake its milky rival as heath-conscious chocoholics’ choice of indulgence. Sales have increased by 96% between 2005 and 2007 and hit £85m last year.== Salute to Sargents ==Sargents Bakeries will be one year old on 27 July this year, and will celebrate the success of its month-on-month growth. The business, owned by Australian businessman Ian Allen, took over the site of Oakdale Bakery in Doncaster after it closed at the end of 2006. It now supplies major and independent retailers with products including cherry bakewells and jam tarts.== Bakery invaded ==Ford’s the Bakers was among five town-centre shops raided over the weekend in Berwick, Northumberland. Thieves broke in and reportedly stole around £200 from the shops.last_img read more

First doubleheader of season this weekend for PASS

first_imgThe following weekend, April 12 and 13, PASS will make the first of its two scheduled appear­ances at the venerable Williams Grove Speedway, which celebrates its 80th anniversary in 2019 on Friday night.  BAPS and Port Royal are the two speedways appearing most often on PASS/IMCA’s 42-race 2019 schedule, with nine races scheduled at each track. Ten raceways appear are scheduled to race at least once. A 40-car field or even better is expected Saturday, April 6 when PASS is at Port Royal Speedway for that venue’s first night race of the season. Gates open at 4 p.m. and racing is set to start at 6 p.m. at the historic Juniata County Fairgrounds track.  Pennsylvania Sprint Series drivers have a pair of races on the docket this weekend, Saturday at Port Royal Speedway and Sunday at BAPS Motor Speedway. (Photo by Brian Rhoad) Again, the field will include multiple former BAPS winners and members of this year’s rookie class.  Zach Newlin, last year’s point champion, is among those planning to be on hand, as are several other former Port Royal winners and a good selection of 2019’s large rookie field.  PORT ROYAL, Pa. – The first two-race weekend of the season for the IMCA RaceSaver Pennsylva­nia Sprint Series should bring out the largest sprint car fields seen so far in 2019 in Cen­tral Pennsylvania. On Sunday, BAPS Motor Speedway in York County, now 65 years since its opening, will feature an all-open wheel racing night. More than 30 pre-entries have been received for this show, which will begin at 5 p.m. The series then makes its second of eight visits to Path Valley Speedway on Saturday. Ken Duke Jr. inaugurated the 2019 season with a win at Path Valley on March 23.last_img read more

Robert L. “Bob” Ashcraft

first_imgRobert L. Ashcraft, 85, of Indianapolis, formerly of Milan, passed away Monday, August 26, 2019 at Marquette Health Care in Indianapolis.  Bob was born Sunday, December 3, 1933 in Aurora, the son of Glendon and Augusta (Windhorst) Ashcraft.  He married Marilyn Grathwohl February 7, 1959 and she survives.  He was a member of St. Charles Catholic Church.  He served his country in the U. S. Army.  He worked for Fernald’s quality assurance department, was a member of the Milan Lions Club and Milan American Legion Post #235.  He was an avid reader and enjoyed golf.Bob is survived by his wife Marilyn of Indianapolis; daughter Lori (Nathan) Nickell of Indianapolis; grandchildren: Nikki (Rich) Phillips, David Ashcraft, Aften Ashcraft and Kelly (Anthony) Brock; and great grandchildren: Kinley, Jack and David Brock.  He was preceded in death by his parents; son David Ashcraft; brothers: Howard and Clayton Ashcraft; and sister Verna “Mickey” Heller.Mass of the Resurrection will be held 11 AM Saturday, September 21, at St. Charles Catholic Church, 213 W Ripley Street, Milan, IN 47031 with Father Stanley Pondo officiating.  Private family burial will follow the Mass.  Family and friends may gather to share and remember him after the Mass in the Fellowship Hall.  Memorial contributions may be given in honor of Bob to St. Vincent Hospice, Marquette Health Care or Milan Lions Club.  Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, Box 243, Milan, IN 47031 (812)654-2141.  You may go to www.lawscarrmoore.com to leave an online condolence message for the family.last_img read more

MINISTER FAILS TO ACKNOWLEDGE SAFETY ISSUE IN DONEGAL BUS ROW – McCONALOGUE

first_imgDeputy Charlie McConalogue has slammed the Government for refusing to accept that the road Bus Eireann is using to calculate the nearest school route for Urris pupils is unsuitable and unsafe.Charlie McConalogue TDDeputy McConalogue yesterday challenged the Education Minister in the Dáil on the issue.However although Minister Jan O’Sullivan said she was aware of the issue she also stated that the criteria in determining school transport eligibility had to be applied uniformly across the country. “The Minister’s response is clear – this Government is going to force pupils from the Urris area to travel across a dangerous mountain road and relocate from Carndonagh to Buncrana if they want to avail of free school transport”, explained Deputy McConalogue.The change in school transport eligibility came into effect in September 2012 however with the introduction this year of online registration and the use of google maps to determine distances it is now coming to light that the nearest school for Urris pupils is Buncrana because the online system uses Mamore Gap when calculating the shortest route.The Donegal Deputy commented, “This new system is completely senseless. Not only does it advocate the use of the road through the Mamore Gap, which is extremely treacherous during the winter months, it will see children from Urris forced to relocate from Carndonagh Community School to Buncrana. This has the potential to lead to a situation where two siblings are attending two separate schools in different locations, as the new rules only came into force in September 2012.“There is a long tradition of children from the Urris area attending Carndonagh Community School and I am extremely concerned that the system used to calculate the distance does not take the condition of the route in question into account. Bus Eireann has decided to use a road through Mamore Gap in calculating one of the routes, despite the fact that the road itself is dangerous, particularly in the winter months, and could put the safety of these children at risk. Despite the concerns raised by local parents, Bus Eireann claims the rules given to it by the Department of Education is prohibiting it from ruling out this option. “The Minister of State with responsibility for school transport Damien English washed his hands of the situation in the Dáil yesterday when he passed the buck back to Bus Eireann, stating that responsibility for the planning and timetabling of school transport routes rests with the bus company, as it operates the school transport scheme.“I have been working on this issue with both Councillor Martin McDermott and Councillor Rena Donaghy and I will continue to raise this issue directly with the Minister. This is a completely unacceptable situation and I will not let this matter rest. The Minister O’Sullivan must allow Bus Éireann to apply a sensible and safe approach to this situation so that the students of Urris can continue to attend the Carndonagh Community School”.MINISTER FAILS TO ACKNOWLEDGE SAFETY ISSUE IN DONEGAL BUS ROW – McCONALOGUE was last modified: April 23rd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more