Hamilton on top in Austria despite protest over his Mercedes

first_imgLewis Hamilton began his quest for a record-equalling seventh world title by topping the times Friday as Formula One roared back with a full day’s practice and an official technical protest of his Mercedes car at the belated season-opening Austrian Grand Prix. Back in black: Lewis Hamilton steers his car to the day’s top time Three months after the cancelled traditional curtain-raiser in Australia, and six months on from the last race, it was business as usual from the dominant newly-repainted ‘black arrows’ Mercedes men with Valtteri Bottas completing a familiar one-two as the sport re-ignited after its longest off-season. “It’s great to be back,” said Hamilton, who is seeking to draw level with seven-time champion Michael Schumacher in the record books. “It’s been a long time coming, so it feels great to feel the new car for the first time since February. “It’s quite a big difference to the one we got to test at Silverstone and I don’t remember what I was like in February, to be honest. It was so long ago.”Advertisement Loading… Read Also: Lampard, Ancelotti call for VAR ‘reflection‘“For a long time, we’ve been planning for the livery change for the car, for the (driver) suit change and I have also designed my helmet in black,” said Hamilton, speaking on a video released on social media.“Normally, my helmet is white, my suit is white and obviously the car is in silver. This is why – it’s the whole reason that the helmet has changed its colour and the suit and the car.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 House on the hill: Red Bull’s Max Verstappen in action“So we’ll take it with a pinch of salt, try to improve the car tonight and come back with it tomorrow.”Hamilton, in commanding form in both the morning and afternoon sessions, was quickest in one minute and 4.304 seconds to lead Bottas by 0.197 seconds and third-placed Sergio Perez, in Racing Point’s ‘pink Mercedes’, by 0.657.Sebastian Vettel, in his last season with Ferrari, was fourth for the Italian outfit ahead of McLaren-bound Daniel Ricciardo of Renault and Lando Norris of McLaren.Lance Stroll, in the second Racing Point, modelled on the hugely-successful 2019 title-winning Mercedes, was seventh ahead of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc in the second Ferrari and his future team-mate Carlos Sainz of McLaren.Verstappen revealed afterwards that his performance was heavily curtailed by running with a broken front wing shortly before his Red Bull team confirmed, on a day of hectic action, that they have lodged an official protest over Mercedes’ controversial dual-axis steering (DAS) system.The system allows drivers to adjust the toe angle of the car by pushing or pulling the steering wheel in the cockpit.It was used by both Mercedes drivers on Friday when the teams all carried the sport’s ‘We Race As One’ pro-diversity message on their cars.The long-awaited track action brought an end to Formula One’s longest break following the lifting of lockdown restrictions in Europe caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.Hamilton, who has been an outspoken supporter of the campaign for equality and diversity since the death of American George Floyd last month, revealed a statement Black Lives Matter helmet before climbing into his Mercedes.His Mercedes W11 car was also running in revised new black livery, instead of the team’s traditional silver, with a message to ‘End Racism’ on the halo.center_img Hamilton said he would take his initial supremacy over his competitors “with a pinch of salt” after a performance that appeared to send a message to his rivals and a power boost to the Black Lives Matter movement that he and his team have embraced and supported. “What’s positive is the car felt good today,” he said. “It definitely feels like in general, compared to last year, we have continued to improve it and that is a positive.” Speaking before rivals Red Bull protested officially at Mercedes’ innovative new steering system, he added that it was difficult to say if he had an edge over his rivals after just one day. “That’s difficult to say – it’s definitely looking good, but you can never take too much from practice and, if you look at some of the other teams, they were maybe down on power modes or up on power modes or fuel or whatever it may be. – ‘Pinch of salt’ – Promoted Content2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearLaugh, Cry, Or Just Relax With The Best Series Streaming On HBO10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemHere Are The Top 10 Tiniest Mobile Phones On The Planet!10 Dystopian Movie Worlds You’d Never Want To Live In8 Ways Drones Will Automate Our FutureBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Ways Drones Are Shaping Our FutureYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime6 Major TV Characters We Were Relieved To See Leaving The Showlast_img read more

African Games 2019: Defending Champions Black Queens kicked out

first_img Source: Graphic.com.gh Reigning champions Ghana, have been denied the chance to defend their African Games (AG) women’s football title after the criteria for qualification by organisers ruled them out.The tournament schedule released by the organisers of the competition on Wednesday features hosts Morocco, Nigeria, South Africa, Cameroun, Mali, Algeria, Equatorial Guinea and Zambia.The Black Queens, who won the AG title in Congo Brazzaville in 2015, were hoping to successfully defend the title at this year’s Games in Morocco in August, but new qualifying rules by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) allowed only teams that played in the qualifying series and actually made it to the 2018 Women’s African Cup of Nations (WAFCON), apart from the hosts, to play in the competition.Thus as hosts of the 2018 Women’s AFCON, Ghana are not eligible and their place taken by the hosts of the African Games, Morocco.This will be a big disappointment to the Ghanaians as they had hoped to be in Morocco for the tournament and possibly defend the title.While the Ghana Football Association (GFA) could not be reached for immediate explanation, sources from CAF indicate that an Executive Committee decision taken last February ruled out the traditional qualifying series which would have allowed Ghana to participate for a slot.“Last February, the CAF ExCo at its meeting decided that there would be no qualifying series for the African Games. Rather, the final qualifying rounds and the teams that made it to the Women’s AFCON and also, the men Under-20 tournament in Niger, will be the qualifying method for the African Games,” the source explained.Per the new rule, Ghana’s Under-20 side, Black Satellites will represent at the Games in Rabat, instead of the Under-23 side, the Meteors as had been the case in previous tournaments.last_img read more

Jorg Wolff Foundation Identifies with 3 Orphanages

first_imgAhead of Liberia’s 168 Independence Day Celebration, Jorg Wolff Foundation, a German Christian based group through the New Apostolic Church in Liberia, last week presented food and non- items valued at about US$6,000 to three orphanage homes in Lofa and Nimba Counties.The beneficiaries includes the Amazing Grace Children Mission in Lofa County, the Hope in Christ Orphanage Mission and the Perseverance Children Center both in Nimba County.In separate remarks while presenting the items, Apostle Andrew Wreh, head of the New Apostolic Church in Liberia, said the funds was a personal donation of the Jorg Wolff Foundation to the orphans.Apostle Wreh used the occasion to call on philanthropists, Christians and other religion group to assist in the caring for the vulnerable in the society, which he said, was one of the major focuses of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.According to him, if that were to be followed, then it would help to supplement government’s efforts by fulfilling some of the social requirements of the needy in the country.The items included rice, cooking oil, sugar, toothpastes, toothbrushes and exercise books. He expressed the hope that the presentation would inspire other organizations and individuals.Mother Siatta Sinaquah, who received the items on behalf of one of the Amazing Grace Children Mission, thanked the church and the donor for the gesture, which she described as “remembering the needy in the society.”She said the children in the home made-up of 132 were being cared for by other donors and personal contributions from other goodhearted persons.She emphasized that major problem facing the home was food, adding that the home spent hundreds of United States dollars very week on food.Mother Sinaquah appealed to organizations and individuals to provide used clothing, storybooks, food items and teaching and learning materials to enhance the education of the children.The Foundation is named under its founder, Jorg Wolff who is a successful businessman, a volunteer worker and a humanitarian.He has been volunteering his services in numerous programs and extended financial support to aid project particularly in West Africa.Mr. Wolff remains engaged in many of those undertakings and always advocates for the common good of humankinds.Mr. Wolff found himself confronted with the devastating situation and got involved to bring relief to those suffering, which led him to create the foundation.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Holiday impulse purchases lead to neglected bunnies

first_imgFor bunnies across America, Easter Sunday is the day to dread. That’s when many of the furry animals are plucked from pet stores and shoved into colorful boxes or wicker baskets to be presented as gifts to children who will press, poke and squeeze them in delight. Their ears will be pulled in ill-attempts to carry them, and they are subjected to shrill screams at the hands of those uneducated in the delicate ways of rabbit care. Months later, many will be dead or forgotten, say animal advocacy groups. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl event“One of the things we try to instill in the public is, `Don’t make those impulse buys,”‘ said Corp. Charles Miller, supervisor of field services for the Southeast Area Animal Control Authority (SEAACA) in Downey. “\ see them out there and think how cute it would be to have an Easter bunny or chick in an Easter basket,” Miller added. “Two days later, they’re looking for a way to get rid of the animal.” Angela Carrigan, founder of Rabbit & Pocket Pet Adoptions in Los Angeles, says the average life span of an Easter bunny is six months. Rabbits can live as long as 10 years, she said, but bunnies bought as novelty items during Easter are usually subjected to neglect once the egg hunt is over and the Easter baskets are stored away. “What happens is that people buy these bunnies, and it usually takes about six months before these rabbits are starting to go through puberty. They outgrow their cages, and the kids have decided they’re no longer fun,” Carrigan said. Her group normally places about 25 rabbits a month into foster homes, but that number doubles in the weeks and months after April, she said. At the SEAACA shelter in Downey, the bunny problem sometimes begins within days after Easter, when the shelter receives an influx of unwanted bunnies. But many others are simply dumped by their former owners. “They’re not going to fair well out there in the wild,” Miller said. Carrigan’s advocacy group is one of dozens across the country that participates in the “Make Mine Chocolate!” campaign, which urges parents to gift their children with chocolate rabbits or stuffed toy bunnies instead of the real thing. “You can get stuffed bunnies, you can get ceramic bunnies, you can get chocolate bunnies,” she said. “If you really want to get a rabbit, it should be something you should plan.” Staff Writer Araceli Esparza contributed to this story.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img