Pink (often stylized as P!nk) was at Madison Square Garden earlier this week for a pair of shows at “The World’s Most Famous” arena as part of the veteran pop singer’s ongoing 2019 Beautiful Trauma World Tour. The first of two performances took place on Tuesday, and saw her welcome her fellow musician and previous collaborator Chris Stapleton to the stage to help perform “Love Me Anyway”.The two had originally recorded the romantic ballad on Pink’s new 2019 studio album, Hurts 2B Human. While the surprise sit-in may not have been as dramatic as Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper‘s recent viral duet of “Shallow”, it has grabbed the attention of Pink and Stapleton fans due to the fact that the two have rarely performed the song together live since its release—if at all. Then again, it would be difficult for the country music star to join Pink on her North American tour when he’s been busy filming scenes for Game of Thrones.You can watch the surprise Pink/Chris Stapleton collab from Tuesday’s show in the video below:Pink with Chris Stapleton – “Love Me Anyway” – 5/21/2019[Video: Michael Winbaum]The two NYC performances marked the end of the North American leg of Pink’s world tour. Her next scheduled performance will see the tour pick up again for the start of the international leg of shows on June 16th in Amsterdam, Netherlands. For a full list of Pink’s upcoming tour dates, head to her website.As for Stapleton, the country star’s All American Road Show Tour will begin on July 9th. For a full list of upcoming Chris Stapleton shows and ticket info, head to his website.[H/T Rolling Stone]
On Nov. 20, 2001, in the early days of the United States’ “War on Terror,” Mohamedou Ould Slahi drove himself to the national police headquarters in Nouakchott, Mauritania — his home country — for voluntary questioning in relation to recent terrorist activity in North America due to a cousin’s relationship with Osama Bin Laden and attendance at the same mosque in Canada as one of the planners of the failed Millenium attacks.Despite no evidence of direct involvement, Slahi was taken into U.S. custody where he would remain for the next 15 years, most of which were spent at the United States prison at Guantanamo Bay where he was subjected to torture before his eventual release.Sunday afternoon, in the Leighton Concert Hall in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center, Slahi discussed his experiences with Notre Dame students and community members via video-chat — due to U.S. government restrictions on his travel stateside — as part of a week-long forum sponsored by the Center For Civil and Human Rights surrounding the release of a revised edition of his international best-seller “Guantanamo Diaries.”“I knew what dictatorship looked like because I grew up in a dictatorship,” Slahi, who was wearing a Notre Dame t-shirt, told the crowd. “What I saw in Guantanamo Bay was a dictatorship.”The forum, which was moderated by Christine Cervenak, the associate director of the Center for Civil and Human Rights, also included reflections from Slahi’s editor Larry Siems (‘81) and United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture and former director of the Notre Dame Center for Civil and Human Rights, Juan Mendez, who had also been a political prisoner, in his native Argentina.Mendez said Slahi’s treatment at Guantanamo was representative of other U.S. abuses during the “War on Terror.”“[His case embodies] this characteristic of the global “War on Terror” that seems to say that the rules apply to everybody else but not the United States … a grotesque version of the exceptionalism of the United States,” he said.Siems discussed how profiling led to Slahi’s arrest and continued imprisonment despite the scant evidence.“There’s some cultural bigotry at play and I think that kind of profiling has trickled down and seeped out in ways that permeate not just post-9/11 detention policies but in immigration and refugee policy as well,” he said.After his imprisonment, Slahi longed to write about his experience, as he had written all his life.Because of his understanding of freedom of expression in the United States, Slahi was surprised when he was told he could not write.“[I thought] this is a democratic country and I have the right to express myself no problem … but they said you cannot have pens,” he said. “That was when I started to steal pens from my neighbors.”Slahi said his motivation to write came from his desire to make the truth known.“As someone who writes, it’s a responsibility to tell the truth, it’s my responsibility, it’s my job, to say everything to be as objective as I could,” he said. “… Truth is a very powerful weapon, truth is a weapon I have in my arsenal that the [U.S.] government does not have.”Pouring all his time into writing, Slahi eventually produced a 466-page, hand-written manuscript. However, this manuscript was not allowed to see the light of day due to confidentiality restrictions placed on all writing and art produced by Guantanamo prisoners.Eventually, thanks to the tireless work of lawyers, Slahi’s now-heavily redacted manuscript made its way to Siems, who would eventually work with Slahi to get the work published.When the book was eventually published in January of 2015, Slahi was still in jail, still subjected to torture.Despite the torture he suffered at the hands of the U.S. government, Slahi says he forgives all involved in his torture — a forgiveness he realized through his Muslim faith.“I found out that no revenge is as complete as forgiveness,” he said.Tags: Center for Civil and Human Rights, guantanmo bay, Juan Mendez, Larry Siems, Mohamedou Ould Slahi, War on Terror
Related Shows Show Closed This production ended its run on Feb. 9, 2014 View Comments Who doesn’t want to see a drama about a messed up family to make themselves feel better about their own nearest and dearest, right? Well, you’re in luck because tickets are now on sale for the world premiere of rising playwright Jake Jeppson’s new family drama The Clearing. Directed by Josh Hecht, the limited engagement will play January 14 through February 9. The Clearing is the story of two brothers bound together by a terrible secret they’ve been hiding for 18 years. The Ellis family is in many ways a typical American family. But the love they share is intense, all-consuming, even obliterating. When a handsome stranger inserts himself into this tight-knit circle, mother and sons must discover if they have the courage to shatter the bond that has kept them unmoving for two decades and risk the unknown. The Clearing Is there a difference between loving someone and living for them? Head to the Theater at St. Clements to find out! The cast of The Clearing features Allison Daugherty as Ella Ellis, Brian McManamon as Les Ellis, Gene Gallerano as Peter and Brian P. Murphy as Chris Ellis.
The Indonesian population still suffers from low financial literacy. A 2019 survey by the OJK on financial literacy found that the country scored 38.03 percent on the financial literacy index and 76.19 percent on the financial inclusion index, up from 29.7 percent and 67.8 percent in 2016, respectively.A recent case involving financial advisory firm PT Jouska Financial Indonesia highlights the issue. Jouska, which used to have a large following among young people on social media, was recently shut down by the government over allegations of illegal stock brokerage and investment mismanagement.Meanwhile, the public’s lack of adoption of technological developments in the financial industry has also affected efforts to boost financial literacy, said online lending company KoinWorks vice president of marketing Frecy Ferry Daswaty.“The biggest challenge [in financial education] is the acceptance of developments in financial products and the willingness of the public to learn about them and how to use them,” Frecy said during the media briefing.Frecy said there was a noticeable gap in financial literacy between urban and suburban areas, with KoinWorks needing to start from the basics for the latter, while it could build on existing knowledge with the former. Horas V M Tarihoran, OJK’s financial literacy and education director, said that from 12,000 people that the OJK surveyed for its financial literacy report, only 31 percent answered that they had used internet-based financial services.Some respondents stated that they did not need fintech, others revealed that they did not understand it, while the rest said they did not trust such platforms. “We want to increase financial literacy and inclusion, but both have to go in the right direction. We want people to buy products because they know they need them,” Horas said during the media briefing. He explained that lately, people were attracted to some investment products because they were lured with the promise of a definitive return, even though investing is never be free of risks. “We want people to understand their needs and the risks involved,” he said.The government aims achieve a score of 90 percent on the financial inclusion index by 2023 to 2024, according to Horas.Topics : The lifestyle-driven spending habits of millennials, as well as the general public’s slow adoption of technological developments in finance, are among the challenges to increasing financial literacy in Indonesia, fintech players have stated.A financially literate person, according to the Financial Services Authority (OJK), has knowledge of financial institutions and financial products, including the features, benefits and risks, as well as the skills to utilize financial products and services.However, when it comes to investment, millennials allocate a mere 10 percent of their income for savings, according to William, director of marketing, communication and community development of the Indonesian Fintech Association (Aftech). “This is a problem of paradigm. They [millennials] have income, but 90 percent of it is not allocated for savings or investment, [it is spent], for example, on lifestyle,” William said during a livestreamed media briefing on Aug. 6. “Financial literacy does not happen in a vacuum,” he added, indicating that addressing the country’s low level of financial literacy had to take into account how people’s allocation of resources was affected by social pressures. According to a Bank UOB Indonesia 2019 survey, Indonesian millennials, those aged between 21 and 39 years old, spend 50 percent of their income on a so-called “4S lifestyle”, which stands for sugar (food and beverages), skin (beauty and personal care), sun (travel and leisure) and screen (digital screen consumption).Read also: Young people seek financial resilience in pandemic
New Delhi: October 23 was a historic day in the annals of Indian cricket administration as a cricketer came to head the richest cricket board in the world. Sourav Ganguly, the former captain of the Indian cricket team who is credited with turning the fortunes of the team at the start of the millennium, became the first cricketer to become president of the BCCI. However, the euphoria soon turned to sadness when it was revealed that Ganguly will be at the helm of the BCCI for only nine months as he had already served two consecutive terms in the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) before being nominated to the BCCI. The tenure cap was on the recommendations of the Supreme Court appointed Justice RM Lodha Panel which stated a mandatory three-year cooling off period after two consecutive terms.However, all that could change on December 1 when the BCCI conducts their Annual General Meeting (AGM). In a report by Times of India, it has been revealed that the cooling off period might be diluted. The Lodha Panel report on tenure cap had stated, “An office bearer who has held any post for two consecutive terms either in a state association or in the BCCI (or a combination of both) shall not be eligible to contest any further election without completing a cooling off period of three years. During the cooling off period, such an office bearer shall not be a member of the Governing Council or of any committee whatsoever of the BCCI or of a state association.”According to the new amendment accessed by Times of India, it is stated that, “A president and secretary who has served in such position for two consecutive terms in BCCI (not state association) shall not be eligible to contest without completion of cooling off.”This amendment effectively means that Ganguly’s period in Cricket Association of Bengal since 2014 when he was the joint-secretary and then elected unopposed as head of the CAB will not be counted in the cooling off period and that two consecutive terms ONLY IN BCCI will merit a cooling off period. This means that Ganguly could be at the helm of the BCCI until 2025. However, since this was framed by the Supreme Court, any changes or amendments will have to get approval from them.Also Read | This Is How Much Time Virat Kohli Took To Give Nod For Day-Night TestsHowever, the BCCI AGM agenda has said a three-fourth’s majority of the members at an AGM will be enough for amendments in rules and regulations to go through. The loophole will be that the recommendation of the Committee of Administrators (CoA) that changes cannot be given effect without the leave of the Supreme Court is “not practical at all times”. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.