Provost Michael Quick announced the implementation of a two-day break during the Fall semester in a memorandum sent to the USC community Wednesday. The break will take place in October around the eighth week of the semester starting in 2019.In his memo, Provost Quick acknowledged the Academic Calendar Committee for working to create the new recess, and thanked the Undergraduate Student Government for their advocacy in creating the fall break. He said that while classes will be suspended, USC facilities will remain open.Last fall, a proposal to implement a fall break was approved by the USG Senate, the Graduate Student Government Senate, the Academic Senate and the Faculty Senate. USG Vice President Blake Ackerman said the fall break proposal has been a USG initiative for the past few years, and has benefitted from the work of past USG officials, including former presidents Rini Sampath, Austin Dunn, Edwin Saucedo and Andrew Menard.“It was really about getting all the right campus partners to get on board with it,” Ackerman said. “It’s been a long time in the making.” The faculty senate previously didn’t approve the break because it believed students would take advantage of the break rather than focus on their mental health. However, USG collaborated with the Engemann Student Health Center to compile data that showed a significant increase in demand for counseling around the eighth week of the fall semester, the Daily Trojan previously reported. “The problem we face as USC students is that during the stretch from Labor Day to Thanksgiving break, USC students have 56 instructional days without any break,” Dunn said to the Daily Trojan last October. “Without a consolidated midterm schedule and the absence of a break, students soon begin to feel overwhelmed.”Ackerman said that the fall break is important for students’ mental health. “The culture around campus becomes very toxic around midterms and finals,” Ackerman said. “We need that time to destress, and its a step in the right direction for the culture we’re trying to create around prioritizing mental health.” EDITOR’S NOTE: This post has been updated to include statements from USG Vice President Blake Ackerman.
A well-known local man has failed to appear in court on serious assault charges – and is now living in Derry.Jason Haughey allegedly stabbed a man outside a Letterkenny hotel in April 2012.Victim Darragh Harvey, 34, was home in Donegal from America where he now lives when he was allegedly attacked by Haughey. Mr Harvey had to be hospitalised after the incident.Haughey was later arrested by arrangement by Gardai outside Letterkenny Courthouse.He was however released on bail on the agreement that he sign on twice weekly at Letterkenny Garda station.Haughey, who used to live in Kilmacrennan, was also facing charges in relation to two burglaries in Letterkenny last year in which he suffered a broken leg and extensive bruising to his face.When the ‘assault causing harm’ case was called at Letterkenny Circuit Court yesterday, the court was told Haughey had not appeared.It later emerged he is living in Derry.Judge John O’Hagan issued a warrant for his arrest. It is the second warrant issued for his arrest.JASON HAUGHEY ON THE RUN AFTER SKIPPING BAIL – TWICE! was last modified: December 10th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DerrydonegalJason Haugheyon the run