Govt urges tourist sites to follow COVID-19 rules on long weekend

first_imgHe highlighted that several tourist sites had seen overwhelming crowds last weekend, which turned out to be three days with Independence Day falling on Monday.Read also: More than 15,000 hikers swamp Mt. Bawakaraeng in South Sulawesi to celebrate Independence DayFor example, more than 15,000 hikers thronged Mount Bawakaraeng in South Sulawesi to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Independence Day on top of the mountain. As authorities failed to intervene, the number of hikers commemorating the event on the mountain had tripled from previous years.”We don’t want to see that happening again this holiday weekend,” said Wiku.The government declared Friday a collective leave day in addition to Islamic New Year, which fell on Thursday, to create a four-day weekend.The move is expected to boost economic activity in tourism, a sector that had seen a significant decline in the last few months due to the COVID-19 outbreak.Health authorities announced 2,266 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Thursday, bringing the total number of infections nationwide to 147,211. Meanwhile, the official count of COVID-19 fatalities has reached 6,418.Topics : The government has urged managers of tourist attractions to strictly enforce COVID-19 health protocols as visitors are expected to flock to popular sites for the long weekend.National COVID-19 task force spokesman Wiku Adisasmito encouraged all tourist sites to limit the number of visitors to half of their respective capacity to ensure sufficient space for physical distancing. Managers should also provide handwashing facilities for visitors.“Make sure all visitors wear masks and maintain physical distancing,” Wiku said during a press briefing on Thursday.last_img read more

Fast Fire leaders Question: Decriminalisation of Marijuana

first_imgNZ Herald 3 September 2014UF: Not in favourConservatives: OpposedGreens: SupportLabour: Opposed but personal use as summary offenceNational: OpposedInternet Mana: Support medicinal use. No policyACT: Conscience voteMaori: Supporthttp://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11320721last_img

Cricket News We don’t pay you to play, we pay you to win: Steve Smith tears into Cricket Australia

first_imgNew Delhi: Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were the three individuals who were suspended for the ball-tampering scandal which put Australian cricket in crisis during the Newlands Test against South Africa. Smith and Warner were banned for one year while Bancroft was banned for nine months for their role in the scandal. Even Cricket Australia were hit hard by the scandal, with an independent Ethics Committee lashing out at the Australian Cricket Board’s culture of winning at all costs which resulted in the scandal. Now, in a recent chat with former Australia cricketer Adam Gilchrist, Smith, who was the captain of the side when the scandal erupted, has used the same factor to lash out at Cricket Australia.“I remember James Sutherland and Pat Howard coming into the rooms there and actually saying ‘We don’t pay you to play, we pay you to win’. So, for me, that was I think a little bit disappointing to say. We don’t go out there to try and lose games of cricket, we go out there to try and win and play the best way we can,” Smith said. The right-handed batsman gave a bit of a background to the quote. Australia had suffered an innings loss in Hobart against South Africa and it was their fifth straight loss at home. The defeat resulted in plenty of changes in the Australian cricket team.Read More | Bancroft says Warner encouraged him to tamper with the ballSutherland resigned from his position as CA chief executive after the incident, team performance head Howard was sacked last month after review by an independent committee. In fact, Howard was one of CA’s investigation team members that questioned Smith and other players in the aftermath of the scandal. However, Smith believes that the team culture was not bad. “If you’re talking about cultures and stuff, you only have to look back a couple of months before South Africa and we won an Ashes series here in Australia 4-0 and people are saying the culture’s really good and everything’s good. Things can change really quickly. Obviously events that happened in Cape Town make people say that the culture was really bad. People will have their own opinions on that,” he added.Read More | Mitchell Marsh booed by Melbourne crowd in Boxing Day Test vs IndiaBefore Smith, Cameron Bancroft had given an interview to Gilchrist in which he blamed Warner for the incident but also directed most of the blame at himself. “Dave (Warner) suggested to me to carry the action out on the ball given the situation we were in the game and I didn’t know any better. I didn’t know any better because I just wanted to fit in and feel valued really,” Bancroft said.However, Bancroft admitted that he was guided by his own distorted values in making the horrendous decision. “The decision was based around my values, what I valued at the time and I valued fitting in? You hope that fitting in earns you respect and with that, I guess, there came a pretty big cost for the mistake.”Shocked at interviewsRicky Ponting, the former Australia skipper, has expressed shock at the interviews and said more eyebrows will be raised on the ball-tampering scandal. Ponting said that most of the players had moved on from the scandal and these serve as unwanted reactions.“Now that those stories are out there, it’s going to be interesting to see what the reaction is tomorrow in newspapers and news channels. There’s enough in those stories to raise a few eyebrows,” Ponting told Cricket Australia’s official website.Darren Lehmann, the coach of the Australia cricket team who also resigned in tears following the scandal, has said Smith should have had more control. In an interview to Macquire Sports Radio, Lehmann said Bancroft should have approached them in this situation. “Steve decided to turn a blind eye. He was captain of the country and he should have more control of that. Yeah, he (Bancroft) could have and should have come to us,” Lehmann rued.Out of all the players involved, only David Warner has not responded. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Cricket News Ben Foakes called up to England ODI squad for injured Sam Billings

first_imgWhilst Billings was left out of England’s provisional ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup squad, his injury means that should one of Buttler or Bairstow sustain an injury during the tournament, Foakes would be the likely replacement. Meanwhile, Jofra Archer will also be seen wearing England colors for the first time and will look to utilise this opportunity with both hands.In the provisional squad announced by England Cricket Board (ECB) for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, Archer wasn’t named in the squad. However, if the cricket pundits are to be believed, England wants to test him for two bilateral series before coming onto a final call. Ben Foakes to replace Sam Billings into the England line up for upcoming bilateral series. Jos Buttler and Jonny Bairstow have been rested for both fixtures.England will play their first game against Ireland on May 3. highlights For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi : Ben Foakes replaces fellow wicketkeeper-batsman Sam Billings, who dislocated his shoulder in the field yesterday for his county side Kent in a 50-over clash against Glamorgan in Cardiff. Jos Buttler and Jonny Bairstow, who were on the Indian Premier League duties have been rested for both fixtures. In these circumstances, Ben Foakes is likely to make his debut for England this summer. England play Ireland in that ODI in Malahide on Friday, May 3rd before their attentions turn to a T20I and five-match ODI series against Pakistan ahead of next month’s World Cup. Should Foakes play, it will be his first white-ball appearance for England. Foakes made his Test debut for England in Sri Lanka late last year and impressed, scoring a century on debut. His recent 50-over form has been good for Surrey, hitting 64, 82 and 71 in his last three white-ball outings for the county. last_img read more