FHP: Teen Driver Distracted By Phone Causes Fatal Crash

first_imgThe Florida Highway Patrol says a teenager drifted into another lane on I-95 in the central part of the state, and hit a tractor trailer due to being distracted by her phone.According to FHP officials, the 56-year-old truck driver died in the crash early Wednesday morning, which happened in Palm Coast.The teen told troopers that she was distracted by her phone, began to drift into the outside lane and then over-corrected, ending caused her vehicle to spin.The front of her sedan hit the right rear wheels of the semi, which then lost control, ran off the highway and overturned as it hit a guardrail in the median, according to the crash report.Troopers say the sedan continued sliding and struck the semi again before ending up in the grassy shoulder of the highway.Both drivers were wearing seat belts, and the teen suffered minor injuries.last_img

Ambris replaces Kyle Hope in Windies Test squad for NZ tour

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC) – Vincentian stroke-maker Sunil Ambris has been rewarded for his recent prolific scoring and named in a West Indies 15-man squad for the two-Test tour of New Zealand starting later this month.The 24-year-old, who played a single One-Day International in the five-match series against England last September, is the only new face in the unit, replacing Kyle Hope who failed in successive series against England and Zimbabwe recently.Ambris smashed 608 runs at an average of 43 for Windward Islands Volcanoes in the last first class season and was one of the leading scorers in the Regional Super50 earlier this year when he pummeled 423 runs at an average of 70.Last month, he tipped the scales heavily in his favour with two hundreds in the three-match “Test” series against the touring Sri Lanka A, as he emerged the leading batsman in the series with 278 runs at an average of 55.Sunil has replaced Kyle Hope in the squad, and this is on the basis of his consistent performances across formats and his outstanding returns for the Windies ‘A’ team in the ‘Test’ series against Sri Lanka ‘A’,” chief selector Courtney Browne said.“This type of consistency is very welcomed by the panel.”Hope has struggled in international cricket, gathering just 41 runs in six Test innings on a difficult tour of England.The 28-year-old right-hander also failed to produce against minnows Zimbabwe, managing just 60 runs in three innings.“Kyle is encouraged to return to the first-class championship and turn in the strong performances his talent suggests he can deliver,” Browne said.Apart from Hope, selectors have kept faith with the unit that lost 2-1 to England last August but impressed in winning the Caribbean side their first Test on English soil in 17 years with the stunning result at Headingley.They completed a 1-0 victory over Zimbabwe last week, winning the first Test by 117 runs before being held to a draw in the final match, and Browne said this series win was underpinned by a strong collective effort.“The panel congratulates the players and the entire team management unit on the series victory in Zimbabwe,” the former Test wicketkeeper said.“It was a strong team effort and highlighted by those players that did not do as well as expected on the recent tour of England, playing critical roles in the team’s success.“Their success augurs well for the selection process and the philosophy of continuity which has underpinned our selection for the tour of New Zealand, and not the chopping and changing mentality.”West Indies will undergo a camp in Brisbane starting next week before travelling to New Zealand where they open that tour with a three-day match against New Zealand A starting November 25.The first Test bowls off December 1 at the Basin Reserve in Wellington, with the second starting eight days later at Seddon Park in Hamilton.SQUAD – Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite (vice-captain), Sunil Ambris, Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Kieran Powell, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach.last_img read more

Commission releases terms for master lease

first_imgUSC took another step on Wednesday toward obtaining day-to-day control of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.The university, along with the Coliseum Commission, the stadium’s nine-member governing body, released a list of terms outlining modifications to the existing lease, which was enacted in 2008.Agreement · According to the term sheet, the university would be allowed to sell naming rights for the Coliseum as long as the name includes “Memorial Coliseum.” – Carlo Acenas | Daily TrojanThe 16-page terms sheet outlines major provisions that would be included in an amended lease. If agreed upon, the term sheet would be transferred into an amended lease document subject to the commission’s vote.“We are moving toward entering into a long-term master lease with USC, where USC would be the master tenant at the Coliseum and be responsible for operating and maintaining the stadium,” said L.A. County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, a member of the commission. “In exchange for this long- term lease, USC will be obligated to undertake several tens of millions of dollars in improvements to the stadium that the Coliseum desperately needs.”Under the proposed list of terms, USC will have the exclusive right to manage the Coliseum, the adjacent Los Angeles Sports Arena, as well as other facilities around Exposition Park. It will also hold first refusal rights to lease the 88-year-old facility and be afforded the opportunity to extend the deal as far as 2054.In 2007, the university lobbied for control of the publicly-owned venue before eventually agreeing upon the current 25-year lease that stipulates that the university annually gives eight percent of ticket sales and $1.8 million to the commission provided the commission supports upgrades to the stadium.The commission, however, acknowledged in June it would be unable to make nearly $60 million in necessary renovations, breaking the terms of the original lease, which has led USC to seek day-to-day operational control of the facility.“Primarily, we believe this facility needs to be improved,” said Tom Sayles, USC’s senior vice president for university relations. “The Coliseum currently has the obligation to make those improvements. We are willing to invest the money to make those improvements.”Under the released terms, USC will be responsible for completing a list of renovations by the end of 2021. The exact cost is unknown.“The Coliseum is at a crossroads,” Yaroslavsky said. “We can either make it a functioning, viable venue for athletic events, or we can make it a museum piece. We don’t want this to become like the Roman Colosseum. We want this to be the 21st century Los Angeles Coliseum.”To help pay for the renovations, the school would be given the option to sell the naming rights of the stadium to a corporate sponsorship provided “Memorial Coliseum” is included in the name.Under the terms of the master lease, USC can also make the Coliseum available to no more than one NFL team for up to four seasons, and outside of football season, the commission can reserve eight days to hold public events such as graduations or Fourth of July celebrations.“What we want to make sure is that the public can continue to have access to this venue,” Sayles said. “They would have the right to come in and utilize the facility for a period of time.”Coliseum Commission Vice President Don Knabe said he was optimistic about successful negotiations between the university and the commission.“At the end of the day, hopefully we can negotiate the terms that are fair to both, fair to the public and preserve this wonderful facility for many years to come,” Knabe said.last_img read more