Governor Wolf to Washington: We’ll Fight to Save Medicaid

first_img Healthcare,  National Issues,  Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today issued the following statement on news out of Washington, D.C. that Republicans are plotting another effort to dismantle the Affordable Care Act and cut Medicaid:“For the last year and a half, I have worked with bipartisan governors to stop Washington from dismantling the Affordable Care Act, undoing consumer protections for pre-existing conditions and lifetime caps, and making deep and devastating cuts to Medicaid that would hurt seniors and people with disabilities.“As Republicans in Washington plot their next effort to take us backwards on health care, I want to make clear that we are still ready to fight to protect health care for our citizens, especially seniors and those with disabilities. The previous GOP health care proposals would have been devastating for Pennsylvania.“Medicaid expansion is working in Pennsylvania: our uninsured rate is at its lowest point in modern history and hospitals are saving hundreds of millions of dollars now that 720,000 more people have insurance.“Going backwards is not an option. Washington Republicans should be focused on stabilizing the system to lower the cost of health care, insurance premiums, and prescription drugs.” May 17, 2018 Governor Wolf to Washington: We’ll Fight to Save Medicaidcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Ambris replaces Kyle Hope in Windies Test squad for NZ tour

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC) – Vincentian stroke-maker Sunil Ambris has been rewarded for his recent prolific scoring and named in a West Indies 15-man squad for the two-Test tour of New Zealand starting later this month.The 24-year-old, who played a single One-Day International in the five-match series against England last September, is the only new face in the unit, replacing Kyle Hope who failed in successive series against England and Zimbabwe recently.Ambris smashed 608 runs at an average of 43 for Windward Islands Volcanoes in the last first class season and was one of the leading scorers in the Regional Super50 earlier this year when he pummeled 423 runs at an average of 70.Last month, he tipped the scales heavily in his favour with two hundreds in the three-match “Test” series against the touring Sri Lanka A, as he emerged the leading batsman in the series with 278 runs at an average of 55.Sunil has replaced Kyle Hope in the squad, and this is on the basis of his consistent performances across formats and his outstanding returns for the Windies ‘A’ team in the ‘Test’ series against Sri Lanka ‘A’,” chief selector Courtney Browne said.“This type of consistency is very welcomed by the panel.”Hope has struggled in international cricket, gathering just 41 runs in six Test innings on a difficult tour of England.The 28-year-old right-hander also failed to produce against minnows Zimbabwe, managing just 60 runs in three innings.“Kyle is encouraged to return to the first-class championship and turn in the strong performances his talent suggests he can deliver,” Browne said.Apart from Hope, selectors have kept faith with the unit that lost 2-1 to England last August but impressed in winning the Caribbean side their first Test on English soil in 17 years with the stunning result at Headingley.They completed a 1-0 victory over Zimbabwe last week, winning the first Test by 117 runs before being held to a draw in the final match, and Browne said this series win was underpinned by a strong collective effort.“The panel congratulates the players and the entire team management unit on the series victory in Zimbabwe,” the former Test wicketkeeper said.“It was a strong team effort and highlighted by those players that did not do as well as expected on the recent tour of England, playing critical roles in the team’s success.“Their success augurs well for the selection process and the philosophy of continuity which has underpinned our selection for the tour of New Zealand, and not the chopping and changing mentality.”West Indies will undergo a camp in Brisbane starting next week before travelling to New Zealand where they open that tour with a three-day match against New Zealand A starting November 25.The first Test bowls off December 1 at the Basin Reserve in Wellington, with the second starting eight days later at Seddon Park in Hamilton.SQUAD – Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite (vice-captain), Sunil Ambris, Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Kieran Powell, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach.last_img read more

Earthquake advisory warning in effect until Tuesday

first_imgDesign by Katlyn LeeThe California Office of Emergency Services issued an earthquake advisory warning for Southern California on Friday in response to an earthquake swarm in the Brawley Seismic Zone near the Salton Sea. Residents of the area should be on heightened alert for the possibility of a major earthquake until Tuesday, the report said. According to the U.S. Geological Services, more than 140 small earthquakes between 1.4 and 4.3 in magnitude have hit the Bombay Beach area since Monday. The USGS said that the chances of a magnitude 7 or above earthquake are between 0.006 percent and 0.2 percent, with the chances decreasing over the course of the week.“California is earthquake country. We must always be prepared and not let our guard down,” OES Director Mark Ghilarducci said to CBS. “The threat of an earthquake on the San Andreas Fault hasn’t gone away, so this is another important opportunity for us to revisit our emergency plans and learn what steps you need to take if a significant earthquake hits.”The advisory was issued to residents and officials in Ventura, San Diego, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, Los Angeles, Kern and Imperial counties. If a large earthquake does occur, it could directly impact USC.Many native residents of Southern California remember the effects of the Northridge earthquake in 1994. At 6.7 magnitude, office buildings, parking structures and parts of major highways collapsed, with some apartment buildings sustaining irreparable damage.Since then, there have been numerous smaller earthquakes that have left minimal impact in the area. Carin Chin, a junior majoring in NGOs and social change, said that the frequency at which the quakes occur has desensitized her.“Having lived in California for 20 years, my view on earthquakes has definitely been numbed, since they happen so often in small amounts,” Chin said.While there may be a lack of concern on the part of native Southern California residents, students who are not from the area and not used to the frequent quakes, may have more reason to be alarmed. Anisha Mandhania, a graduate student at the Gould School of Law, said that her own exposure to earthquakes only served to heighten her awareness of the need for earthquake preparedness, rather than dampen it. “I experienced this extreme earthquake back in India some 10 or 15 years back,” Mandhania said. “It just happened all of a sudden, and afterwards there were smaller tremors for one month or so.”For Mandhania, this experience solidified her belief that the California advisory is an important step in ensuring that everyone remains safe.The Southern California Earthquake Center, which is headquartered at USC, researches earthquakes and looks for new ways to be better prepared in the event of a big one. USC also participates in earthquake preparedness drills at both the University Park Campus and the Health Sciences Campus.last_img read more