Pink Game to benefit charity

first_imgThe Fighting Irish football team will don its traditional blue and gold uniforms when it faces Stanford at Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday, but players will add a bold color to their game day look: pink.   During the annual Pink Game, sponsored by the Kelly Cares Foundation (KCF) in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, players and coaches will accessorize with pink wristbands, shoelaces and other items to show their support for both the foundation and breast cancer awareness in general, KCF executive director Lisa Klunder said. The Pink Game also gives the Foundation an arena for raising awareness of its commitment to health, education and community, and its particular focus on breast cancer education and research, Klunder said. “This is a great opportunity for the foundation to get its name out there and let the community, fans and alumni know what we do,” she said. “Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, this is a perfect platform to do that.” Founded by Irish head coach Brian Kelly and his wife, Paqui, the Foundation dedicates much of its work to causes related to breast cancer awareness due to Paqui Kelly’s personal connection to the cause as a two-time survivor of the disease, she said. “As part of the three pillars of the organization, we focus on breast cancer awareness, education and research,” she said. “We continue to help organizations in any of those facets, whether it’s assisting research facilities with funding or me doing speaking engagements and encouraging people to be proactive about their health.” The Foundation also supports other non-profit organizations, Paqui Kelly said, as it recently donated $10,000 to Notre Dame swim coach Brian Barnes’s Coaches vs. Cancer event in honor of Barnes’s late wife, Alyssa. This year’s Pink Game holds special significance for Paqui Kelly, as she celebrated being five years cancer-free in September. “The first time around, I didn’t get to celebrate because I was diagnosed again before the five-year mark,” she said. In addition to the visual display of support from the football team and sales of Adidas licensed pink gear on game day, Klunder said the Foundation will be selling facemasks of Brian Kelly’s pink-visored face to fans as part of a partnership with the Logan Center in South Bend. “The proceeds will be split 50-50 between the Logan Center and the Foundation. They do wonderful things for their clients, and in keeping with our pillar of community, we can give back to an organization that could use the additional funds,” she said. “The Logan Center’s clients helped assemble [the masks], so they’ve been really proactive and involved in this. I don’t know if there are more or bigger Notre Dame fans than the Logan Center clients.” The upcoming game is a continuation of the Foundation’s other breast cancer awareness efforts, including last week’s second annual Think Pink with Paqui golf outing, which hosted 250 guests and raised more than $75,000 in net proceeds, Klunder said. Although the noncompetitive event was “lighthearted,” Paqui Kelly said its educational value was the real focus of the outing, as two Michiana oncologists spoke to attendees about breast cancer treatment, early detection and research. “The event was quite successful, and we got positive feedback from people who came,” she said. “The oncologists discussed current treatments, and so many things have changed that what people were told 10 years ago is a lot different now. From my first to my second diagnosis, my treatments were very different.” Paqui Kelly said her experience motivates her to share her story and raise awareness of the disease year round, not just in October. “It’s personal to Brian and me. I feel like I had a red carpet with cancer treatment because we had everything we needed along the way,” she said. “It’s also very important to understand that breast cancer doesn’t just happen in October, but using the same platform of awareness as the country and the NFL helps.” For more information about the Kelly Cares Foundation, visit kellycaresfoundation.org.last_img read more

Legendary Joel Grey Hosts Rare Screening of ‘Cabaret’ at Cinema Arts Centre

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Chalk up another amazing evening of entertainment coming to the Huntington Cinema Arts this Thursday night, when legendary Joel Grey hosts a rare “big screen” presentation of Bob Fosse’s Cabaret, the scintillatingly original musical drama about decadence in 1931 Berlin as the Weimar Republic was about to be swept away forever by Adolf Hitler’s rise to power in Germany.The movie, which premiered in 1972, earned Grey an Oscar for his role as the leering, sneering Emcee of the seedy Kit Kat Club, where the vulnerable performer, Sally Bowles, was played by Liza Minnelli—Judy Garland’s daughter—who won an Oscar, too. The film, based on Christopher Isherwood’s Berlin Stories, earned eight Oscars in total. When it came out on screen, Bob Fosse was already a leading American choreographer, dancer and director, who’d later go on to create “All That Jazz” (1979) and “Chicago” (2002). But nothing ever quite equaled the groundbreaking Cabaret, the movie version of the John Kander and Fred Ebb Broadway musical, where Grey had first created his role of the Emcee on stage in 1966.As the New York Times reviewer Roger Greenspun wrote in 1972, the film is “not so much a movie musical as it is a movie with a lot of music in it.” He remarked that it had a “general theme of sick sexual ambiguity…as a kind of working motif. The master of sexual ambiguity, and the master of motifs, is again Joel Grey, master of ceremonies at the Kit Kat Klub, the cellar cabaret where Sally sings and dances, and where everything, even the rise of the Third Reich, is ‘beautiful.’”“An appearance by Tony and Academy Award-winner Joel Grey—at the Cinema Arts Centre or anywhere else—is a major event,” said Dr. Jud Newborn, the Cinema Arts Centers’ special program curator. “This man is a legend, and a unique one at that. But ours is an exclusive for Long Island! And the timing is especially potent for our rare ‘big screen’ showing of Cabaret because the film, with the rise of Nazism as its backdrop, resonates with the crisis of democracy that is roiling America today. We all can’t wait to hear Joel Grey’s ideas on this connection.“But, of course, the sheer entertainment value of this Oscar-sweeping film, no matter what your politics, cannot be exceeded,” said Newborn. “After all, Joel Grey is on all lists as among the most important Broadway stars of all time.” He’s an Oscar, Tony and Golden Globe winner.Grey has just published his new tell-all memoir, Master of Ceremonies, and he’ll be on hand to discuss that as well.“Grey reveals the risks and excitement of his bisexual life while giving us an amazing inside history of theater from the Vaudeville era to today,” said Newborn. “And think of what he can tell us about Liza Minnelli, his co-star and friend, and so many other celebrated artists!”A singer, dancer, producer, director and photographer, Grey has lived a fascinating life on and off screen, in the limelight, and in the shadows. In his memoir he reportedly recounts his “fraught but exuberant bisexual love life at a time when any sexual ambiguity was both difficult and dangerous.” From his childhood in Vaudeville acting with his father to performing in gangster-filled nightclubs and basking in the glamour of Hollywood, Grey is a living legend who’s seen it all—and probably done it, too.As the Emcee would say, “Life is a cabaret, my friends.”For more information, visit Cinema Arts Centre’s website.Liza Minelli as Sally Bowles and Joel Grey as the Emcee in “Cabaret.” [Photo courtesy Cinema Arts Centre]last_img read more

Strong sales in this $162 million project has resulted in the fast tracking of the project

first_imgThe third tower of Cambridge Residences is set to be completed by August 2019“Another compelling feature is the location on the doorstep of Robina Town Centre … residents are just minutes from a major shopping, dining and entertainment complex, public and private hospitals, a major medical precinct and Robina Train Station.“And they have easy access to the M1, connecting them with the wider Gold Coast region and Brisbane.”More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach Northless than 1 hour agoNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by The Agency director of projects Steven Chen said Tower 3 of Cambridge Residences offered some of the best value apartments on the Gold Coast, particularly for first home buyers and investors. Artist’s impression of the Cambridge ResidencesTower 3 will consist of 127 apartments across 12 levels, with resident facilities including a swimming pool, gymnasium, barbecue area and basement parking.Apartments range in size from 74sq m to 158sq m, including balcony and courtyard areas.One bedroom apartments start from $330,000, with three bedroom apartments from $626,000.Once completed, Cambridge Residences will consist of 386 apartments across four towers.THE BASICSCAMBRIDGE RESIDENCESDeveloper: SPG Investment Holding Limited and Starwaly Asset Management Pty LtdPrice: One bedroom apartments from $330,000 (Tower 3)Location: Sales centre located at 42 Laver Driver, Robina An artist’s impression of the Cambridge Residences.CONSTRUCTION of the third tower within the $162 million Cambridge Residences development will start in February, with strong sales prompting the developer to fast-track the project.The third stage of the four-tower project offers a mix of one, two and three-bedroom apartments priced from $330,000, with the 164 apartments in the first two towers sold out.Eastview Australia project manager Graham Goldman said the third tower was scheduled to be completed by Condev Construction by August 2019.“We expect Tower 3 will mirror the sales success that drove the sellout of the first two towers where buyers, particularly those buying their first home, were galvanised by the very reasonable price point,” Mr Goldman said.last_img read more

Best commits future to Ulster

first_imgRory Best has signed a new two-year IRFU contract to remain with Ulster until 2016. After making his Ireland debut in 2005 he has racked up 70 caps, scoring his eighth try in Joe Schmidt’s side’s agonising 24-22 defeat to New Zealand in November. Best said the warmth and respect of supporters and the Ireland and Ulster set-ups combined to convince him to stay at his home province. He initially missed out on selection for the British and Irish Lions’ summer tour to Australia, but Dylan Hartley’s ban for his red card in the Aviva Premiership final led to him being called up as a replacement. And Best admitted the backing he received after his initial Lions disappointment left a lasting impression. He said: “I am pleased to have signed for a further two years. “It is a massive honour to play for Ireland and Ulster. “The support that I received when I missed out on the initial Lions squad was a massive factor in me making the decision to stay. “That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family. Press Association “I want to keep playing for Ireland for as long as I can and to try and win a few more things in the green jersey.” Rugby director David Humphreys said Best will continue to be a pivotal player for Ulster. He said: “Rory Best is the cornerstone of the Ulster Rugby team and leads by example. “You would struggle to find anyone who is more committed on the rugby field, nor someone who is more passionate about playing for his province. “He has represented Ulster for the best part of a decade now and he has achieved some of the highest honours that the game has to offer. “He will be a key player in our team as we continue to build and improve in the coming years and I am delighted that he has signed this new contract.” The 31-year-old hooker is the latest Ireland star to reject a lucrative move to France, after Donnacha Ryan and Conor Murray committed their futures to Munster. Best made his Ulster debut in November 2004 and has since made 143 appearances, scoring 12 tries. last_img read more