$63M in contracts awarded for Indian Monument construction

first_imgThe Public Infrastructure Ministry has announced over $63 million in contracts have been awarded for the construction of a supporting structure for the Indian Arrival Monument at the Palmyra Village on the Corentyne, in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), after the base of the structure collapsed last year. Information from the Public Infrastructure Ministry indicates that the works will commence on August 14 and are expected to be completed by October 31.The construction is divided into eight lots and involves the creation of a base and podium for the monument, peripheral structures such as a perimeter walkway and parking area, internal and external landscaping, roadway and drainage, lighting and, a visitor’s gallery, fencing and a security hut.From the eight lots, contracts were awarded for only two so far by the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board. The first lot was awarded to Raffik and Sons General Building Contractors for a sum of $28.6 million while Lot Two has been awarded to A&A Engineering Services for a sum of $34.8 million.The Ministry has also indicated that the contracts for the other six remaining lots will be awarded by the third quarter of this year.“This 12×12 monument is sculpted in bronze and is a visual representation of ordinary Indian people in routine everyday life with each bearing a significant artefact as an ode to the continued traditions brought by forefathers from India translated to current livelihood and practices by Guyanese today,” the Ministry stated.The monument was gifted to Guyana by the Government of India to symbolise the country’s cultural celebration and it was built by MS Collin Mathis and Associates. However, in April 2017, the structure came crashing down which prompted the Indian Government to request a report and it was later related that they offered to send skilled craftsmen to rebuild it.At the time of the collapse, then Regional Chairman David Armogan had stated that the Administration would not be accepting accountability for the poor construction and whole the Public Infrastructure Ministry had said the project falls under the Department of Culture, Youth and Sport within the Education Ministry. A source at the Department told this publication that the Department was not responsible for the project.They then referred the matter to the Ministry of the Presidency while noting that they should accept responsibility.last_img read more

Sprint king Bolt scores first goals in f’ball bid

first_img0Shares0000It was Bolt’s first start since joining the A-League club in August for an indefinite trial © AFP / PETER PARKSSYDNEY, Australia, Oct 12 – Sprint legend Usain Bolt made his case for becoming a professional footballer Friday when he scored his first goals after starting up front in a pre-season game for Australia’s Central Coast Mariners.The 100 metres world record-holder, who has been bidding for a professional contract since he retired last year, recovered from a painful kick in the groin to grab a double against Macarthur South West United in Sydney. Bolt, 32, finished with his left foot after some slack marking on 55 minutes, celebrating with his trademark ‘Lightning Bolt’ pose in front of more than 5,000 fans — a rare turnout for a pre-season game.The Jamaican, wearing number 95 on his shirt in a nod to his 100m world record time of 9.58secs, then capitalised on a defensive mix-up to score his second on 69 minutes before being substituted six minutes later with the score at 4-0.Bolt said he had a “lot more to learn” and was keen to join the Mariners on a professional contract © AFP / PETER PARKSIt was the first game Bolt has started since joining the A-League club in August for an indefinite trial.“I’m just happy that I got a chance and I’m proud of myself,” Bolt told host broadcaster Fox Sports after the game.“It was a big deal… first start and scoring two goals. It was a good feeling. This is what I worked towards. I try to get better and I am on the way to doing that.”Bolt said he had a “lot more to learn” and was keen to join the Mariners on a professional contract.“I’m keen, that’s why I’m here to play my best and to try and get into the team,” he added.The superstar, a massive Manchester United fan, was handed a chance to train with the A-League side for an indefinite period in order to pursue his boyhood dream of becoming a professional footballer.Whether he signs for the Mariners appears still up in the air, but the brace bolstered his case after a difficult first-half where he missed chances and appeared to struggle with the pace and movement of the game.“They’ve seen me in training, they’ve seen what I’m capable of and so, they need to analyse and say, ‘Is he good enough for this club?’ and they will tell me that,” Bolt told reporters after the game.“I just did what I had to do and that’s as far as I can go.”Recently installed coach Mike Mulvey said he was focused on the first game of the season for the Mariners, who finished bottom of the table last season, but heaped praised on the eight-time Olympic champion for his goals.“You’ve got to be so happy for the guy, haven’t you?” Mulvey told reporters.Bolt appeared to appeal for game time, saying he would improve as he gained more understanding of his teammates and what they wanted.He has previously tried out with clubs in Germany, South Africa and Norway to no avail.The Mariners have been giving him one-on-one sessions on top of the squad’s training in a bid to turn him into A-League material for when the season starts a week from now.The Mariners will face Brisbane Roar, the club Mulvey was sacked from in 2014, in their first game next Sunday.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more