Jonathan Williams RehabArkansas running back Jonathan Williams hasn’t played all season due to a foot injury, but the bruising senior is working his way back to the gridiron. Whether he’ll next suit up for the Razorbacks or in the NFL, Williams is determined to make a full recovery. Last week, he posted video of himself running for the first time since the injury, and today he shared footage of himself doing underwater agility drills. Best of luck to Williams as he continues to progress in his rehab.
BARRIE, Ont. — Police say they have freed 43 “modern day slaves” from Mexico who were allegedly forced to work as cleaners at a hotel and vacation properties in central and eastern Ontario.Officers with the Ontario Provincial Police and Barrie police began investigating the alleged scam last year, culminating in 12 search warrants that they executed last week.OPP Deputy Commissioner Rick Barnum says the alleged victims were lured to Canada believing they would be offered legitimate employment and educational opportunities.He says they were instead forced to live in “squalid” conditions and made to pay their alleged traffickers large sums of money.After paying various fees to their employers, Barnum says the alleged victims would sometimes make as little as $50 per month for daily work.There’s no word on criminal charges, but Barnum says they may come later.Police say they are keeping close track of two people who were running the company that employed the foreign workers as the investigation continues.The Canadian Press
Russell Simmons will be receiving the ACE Humanitarian Award today, June 11, as ACE Programs for the Homeless celebrates 20 years of empowering the homeless and improving communities.Also attending are the evening’s Emcee, Rosanna Scotto, host of Fox TV’s Good Day NY, and Auction Emcee, Countess LuAnn de Lesseps from Bravo TV’s Real Housewives of New York City. Famed opera singer Jessye Norman will be receiving the ACE Award for the Arts.Guests will be wined and dined, and treated to music, dancing and a live auction. “The people’s tenor” Michael Amante will perform during the evening with the Hank Lane Quartet.Attendees will also get a peek at “A Show of Hands:Photographs from the Collection of Henry Buhl”. The photographs, numbering in the hundreds, and all of hands, were collected by the businessman-turned-philanthropist over the last 19 years, and feature hands of famous people such as Mother Teresa.Sotheby’s, 2012 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York/VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn Herbert Bayer’s “Lonely Metropolitan” (1932)About 400 of the images will be auctioned off this December to benefit the Buhl Foundation which supports the homeless, the arts, and education for the underprivileged.For more information on how you can attend the ACE Anniversary Gala or support their work helping the homeless, visit AceNewYork.org. To learn more about the Buhl Foundation and the incredible photographic collection, visit TheBuhlFoundation.org.Copyright ©2012Look to the Stars
By Delaney WindigoAPTN National NewsSASKATOON–What began as a journey to Nigeria for love has ended in a nightmare.A Saskatchewan family is struggling to bring back the body of a woman who died in Nigeria after marrying a local man she met online.Debra Pine left Beardy’s and Okemasis First Nation in February to marry a man known as “Martin.”A month after the marriage, Pine died from septicaemia, a serious bacterial infection, and her body lies in a morgue, thousands of kilometres away from her family.Now Pine’s family claims the body is being held hostage by Martin, who has a final say over what happens as the legal next of kin under Nigerian law.The family said they believe the man wants to use the death as a means to come to Canada.“I know he said he loves her, but I think his intentions were just to get to Canada,” said family friend Pamela Baldhead.The family said they have the money in place to bring Pine home and only the widower stands in their way.“At first, I was pretty confident that he would (let the body go), but now it’s like to me he is playing some kind of mind game with us,” said daughter Sheryl Horse. “Everything is already arranged, it’s just that he has to sign the release, to release her body.”Pine’s death has left her nine children grieving.“She was everything to everybody and we miss her,” said Baldhead. “We just want her home, we need her home.”Nigeria is also currently in the midst of an election and the family is having a difficult time making contact with any government firstname.lastname@example.org
PHOENIX – The classified advertising site Backpage.com ignored warnings to stop running advertisements promoting prostitution, sometimes involving children, because the lucrative enterprise brought in half a billion dollars, according to an indictment unsealed Monday.The charges against Backpage.com founders Michael Lacey and James Larkin, along with five others, accused them of publishing some ads that depicted children who authorities said were sex trafficking victims.The indictment said the site contended it tried to prevent prostitution ads, but investigators determined that was not the case and that owners declined to take steps to confront the problem.Backpage.com employees sought to help customers edit their ads to stay within legal limits while still encouraging commercial sex, prosecutors said. Photos and words that were indicative of prostitution were removed before such ads were run, according to the indictment.“Nevertheless, the Backpage defendants made a financial decision to continue displaying those ads,” the indictment said, noting the site has brought $500 million in prostitution-related revenues since its inception in 2004.Lacey, Larkin and five others who work for the site were indicted on federal charges in what authorities said was a scheme to knowingly facilitate prostitution by running ads for sexual services and using foreign banks to hide revenues.Last week, federal authorities seized Backpage.com and its affiliated websites.The indictment said it was implausible for Backpage.com to contend such ads were offering lawful escort services. “I am the type of girl who absolutely adores a man who understands the many desires of a young beautiful woman and how to accommodate a variety of fantasies,” one ad read.The indictment alleges Backpage.com started to launder money a few years ago after banks raised concerns. The indictment alleged the site routed proceeds through unrelated entities, wire money into foreign banks and convert money into cryptocurrency.Lacey and Larkin are charged with facilitating prostitution and money laundering. Larry Kazan, an attorney representing Lacey, and Cristina Arguedas, a lawyer for Larkin, didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment.Executive vice-president Scott Spear was charged with facilitating prostitution and money laundering, while chief financial officer John Brunst was charged with money laundering. Sales and marketing director Dan Hyer, operations manager Andrew Padilla and assistant operations manager Joye Vaught also were charged with facilitating prostitution.The indictment alleged that Padilla threatened to fire any employee who acknowledged in writing that the escorts depicted in ads were actually prostitutes.Attorney Michael Piccarreta, who represents Padilla, said the case will be important in deciding whether a web host can be held responsible for a third party’s behaviour. “It’s a very important precedent if a media company can be held responsible for what individuals post on their platform,” Piccarreta said.Michael Kimerer, a lawyer for Brunst, and Stephen Weiss, an attorney for Vaught, didn’t return a call for comment. There were no lawyers listed in court records for Hyer.Last year, the website’s chief executive Carl Ferrer, along with Lacey and Larkin, pleaded not guilty to money laundering charges in California, where state prosecutors said the website operators had illegally funneled money through multiple companies and created various websites to get around banks that refused to process transactions.Meanwhile, a California judge dismissed pimping conspiracy and other charges against the Backpage.com operators, saying federal law protecting free speech grants immunity to websites that post content created by others.In the past, the site’s operators challenged the California charges on First Amendment grounds.Officials have struggled with how to deal with the website without violating free speech protections.Backpage.com is a Dutch-owned limited liability corporation incorporated in Delaware, but its principal place of business is in Dallas. Federal officials say Backpage.com keeps its bank accounts and servers in Arizona.Lacey and Larkin are former owners of the Village Voice and the Phoenix New Times. The indictment says Lacey and Larkin purportedly sold their interest in Backpage.com in 2015, though they have retained control over the site.Lacey and Larkin were arrested in Arizona by then-Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office in 2007 for publishing information about a secret grand jury subpoena demanding information on its stories and online readers.They won a $3.75 million settlement from county government as a result of their now-discredited arrests.___Mary Hudetz in Albuquerque and Don Thompson in Sacramento contributed to this report.___Follow Jacques Billeaud at twitter.com/jacquesbilleaud. His work can be found at https://bit.ly/2GGWEPO.
BAGHDAD — U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has urged Iraq to reduce its energy dependence on Iran and open its energy sector to American investment instead.Perry met with top Iraqi officials in Baghdad and in the Kurdish region on Tuesday to discuss US investment in Iraq.Iraq is caught in a delicate position as it continues to draw on Iranian gas and electricity production despite renewed U.S. sanctions against Iran’s energy sector.Iraq’s own energy sector cannot produce enough electricity to power the country.Perry said the U.S. and its business community were prepared to help Iraq develop its own energy sector.“The time has come for Iraq to break its dependence on others and move forward toward true energy independence,” said Perry.The Associated Press
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Rotary Club of Fort St. John held their annual ‘Drive-Thru’ Breakfast on Thursday morning.The purpose of this event was to raise funds to support local school breakfast programs.Rotary Club member, Marva Kosick, says while they do not have a total amount of funds raised as of Friday, she does say that the Club had served around 1,000 hot breakfasts which is more than the initial goal of 700. For a minimum donation of $7.00, the Drive-Thru Breakfast included a hot off the grill breakfast sandwich, a side of fruit and a beverage, all in a reusable lunch bag.Kosick says it was a great event and gives thanks to the community for the amazing support in making this fundraiser a great success.
New Delhi: Lenders will cite one day default clause under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) to defend their action against erring promoters taken to insolvency under the now defunct February 12, 2018 circular of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Sources said promoters of about half a dozen stressed power entities referred to National Company Law Tribunal have approached the bankruptcy court to quash insolvency proceedings against them as it has become non-maintainable following the Supreme Court order declaring the RBI circular ultra vires. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalBut banker’s are confident that stressed assets referred to NCLT will continue to face bankruptcy proceedings as IBC clearly states such referral even if there is one day delay or default by any entity in meeting its loan commitments. “There is no question that stressed assets referred to NCLT will come out from there following the apex court’s ruling. These assets continue to remain stressed and lenders are sure that resolution under IBC framework would work best for all stakeholders,” said chairman and managing director of a leading state-owned financial institution asking not to be named. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost”If need be, lenders would also file an affidavit with NCLT to continue the bankruptcy proceedings in the case of companies that faced such action over the earlier RBI circular,” he added. Five stressed power producers, including 3,600 MW KSK Mahanadi Power Co. Ltd., 1920 MW Lanco Amarkantak Power Ltd., 600 MW Avantha Power (Jhabua), 1350 MW Rattan India Nashik Power Ltd. (formerly Indiabulls) and 1,350 MW Rattan India Power (Amravati project) are preparing to oppose insolvency proceedings as lenders filed petitions against them as per February 12 RBI circular. The projects owe about Rs 50,000 crore to banks. Lanco Amarkantak has sought time from the NCLT to submit documents that suggests that Axis Bank had initiated insolvency proceedings against it under the now-defunct RBI circular. KSK Mahanadi and Avantha Power have also cited the apex court order in earlier NCLT hearing. The other projects are also thinking of taking up the matter in the court. The February 12 RBI circular had also mandated resolution process by lenders even if there was one day delay in repayment by debtors. This stands annulled by Supreme Court. However, IBC gives powers to any creditor to take a company to NCLT even if there is one day delay in repayments and the outstanding amount is in excess of Rs 1 lakh. As this provision stands, lenders want to maintain bankruptcy proceedings against assets that remain in stress. In all about 70 cases with total bank exposure of about Rs 4 lakh crore was declared as stressful by the banks post the RBI circular. This included 34 stressed power projects worth 40,000 MW having total bank of close to Rs 1.8 lakh crore. Its not that institutions, including PFC did not try to resolve certain power projects, but none of the attempts remained successful. In the case of KSK Mahanadi, Adani Group showed interest but it soon withdrew from the race as lenders were divided on the level of hair cut and UP state regulator sought cut in tariff for the project. In case of an Rs 600 crore one time settlement scheme worked out for Lanco Amravati, the sole investor backed out from the race at the last minute. With relation to Avantha Power (Jhabua) an Rs 100 crore settlement for PFC got stalled after one of the operational creditors took the asset to NCLT.
Wyatt Crosher and Colin Gay discuss Ohio State men’s basketball’s four-game losing streak and if it will become a five-game one after the Purdue game, and if there is a end to the losing ways in the near future. Wyatt and Colin also talk about Ohio State men’s hockey’s sweep against then-No. 13 Penn State and how the team looks ready for another deep tournament run, as well as women’s basketball’s recent defeat against Michigan.
Marcos Alonso doesn’t understand why team-mate Callum Hudson-Odoi would leave Chelsea for Bayern Munich and urged him to remain patientBayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic confirmed reports on Wednesday over their “great interest” in Hudson-Odoi.The 18-year-old winger is understood to be frustrated with his role at Chelsea this season with just 42 minutes of Premier League action under his belt.While Hudson-Odoi has started in both of the Blues’ last two games, in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup, he remains heavily tipped to make a move to Germany this month.But Alonso feels that Hudson-Odoi won’t find a bigger club than Chelsea and urged his young team-mate to stick it out and fight for his place in the team.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“He is a good player, but he is very young,” said Alonso, according to the Independent.“He needs to have patience and to be hungry and fight for a place in this team.“That is all he needs to do, he has all the conditions to be a great player, now it is up to him to fight for a place here or try to find more minutes somewhere else.“Bayern Munich? We are Chelsea, another great team, the Premier League is the most competitive league in the world, I don’t know why someone would go to Bayern Munich.”Maurizio Sarri’s side will host Newcastle at Stamford Bridge on Saturday in their next Premier League match.