Half-time: Hull City 1 QPR 1

first_imgCharlie Austin’s goal – his sixth of the season – put QPR ahead at the KC Stadium before Michael Dawson equalised.Austin met Tjaronn Chery’s 25th-minute corner with a glancing header which crossed the line before Andrew Robertson could clear.But the Tigers hit back when Dawson headed home Tom Huddlestone’s left-wing free-kick eight minutes before the break.Hull had been lively early on, with Sone Aluko bringing a good save from Rob Green before just failing to connect with Robertson’s dangerous cross.But Chery has been a consistent threat to the Tigers defence and had a long-range effort saved before delivering the corner which led to the opening goal.Chery then sent another long-range shot wide and Rangers seemed to be growing in confidence before Hull levelled.Green, available again after serving a one-match ban, was restored to the side along with Alejandro Faurlin. It meant Alex Smithies and Daniel Tozser dropped to the bench.QPR: Green; Perch, Onuoha, Angella, Konchesky; Henry, Faurlin; Phillips, Luongo, Chery; Austin.Subs: Smithies, Hall, Gladwin, Doughty, Mackie, Emmanuel-Thomas, Tozser.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Round-up: Groves, Blues trialist, Hazard angers Spurs fans, Traore, Bees boss keen to finish above QPR

first_imgGeorge Groves will face fellow Briton Martin Murray at the O2 Arena on 25 June in an eliminator for the WBA super-middleweight title.Hammersmith’s Groves, 28, will fight on the same bill as Anthony Joshua’s first defence of his world heavyweight crown, against American Dominic Breazeale.Meanwhile, Brentford boss Dean Smith has declared that it would be “lovely” if his side finish the season above QPR.Rangers boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has tipped goalkeeper Matt Ingram to play in the Premier League. Armand Traore, who has not played a first-team match this season, played for QPR’s development side in a match against Colchester at Loftus Road tonight.Traore’s contract expires at the end of the seasonChelsea’s Under-21s were also in action. Yasin Ben El-Mhanni, a 20-year-old winger currently on trial with the Blues, scored in a 3-1 win at Middlesbrough.There continues to be speculation over Oscar’s future, with The Sun declaring that he hinted he is on his way out of Chelsea after the Brazilian ‘liked’ an Instagram post linking him with a move to Juventus.Fans on Twitter have been reacting – angrily, in the case of Tottenham supporters – to comments made by Chelsea’s Eden Hazard.Hazard scored twice against Bournemouth on SaturdayHazard, whose side face Spurs next Monday, has said that his club’s players do not want the north London side to win the title and that leaders Leicester deserve to be champions.In other news, Chelsea Ladies striker Fran Kirby has been named the Women’s FA Cup player of the round after her last-minute winner in the semi-final against Manchester City.And Steven Finn took three wickets but Middlesex’s bowlers struggled in windy conditions at Durham – where play was ended early after a snow flurry.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

SA’s drinking water is top class

first_imgSouth African residents and visitors tothe country can rest assured that the tap water is of the highest quality.(Image: SA Water Research Commission)  MEDIA CONTACTS • Mava Scott  Spokesperson, Dept of Water Affairs  +27 12 336 8262 or +27 82 602 9640 RELATED ARTICLES • Cleaner water for Cape Town bathers • New solutions for water conservation • Better water supply for SA schools • A water-wise Lesotho adventure • SA’s biggest desalination plant opensSource: BuaNewsSouth Africa’s drinking water is among the best to be found anywhere, and the country remains among a few in the world where water can safely be consumed from the tap, said water affairs minister Edna Molewa.Molewa was releasing the 2012 Blue Drop report during the Water Institute of Southern Africa’s 2012 conference and exhibition, taking place at the Cape Town International Convention Centre.Introduced in September 2008, the Blue Drop certification programme encourages local municipalities to improve their water quality management while keeping consumers informed about the water they’re drinking. It was launched by Molewa’s predecessor, Buyelwa Sonjica.Molewa noted a significant improvement over the previous year’s results – she said 98 municipalities were this year awarded Blue Status, up from 66 last year.The average national Blue Status score jumped from 72.9% last year to 87.6% this year.All nine provinces showed progress in their 2012 Blue Drop results when compared to 2011. The scores have improved every year since the first Blue Drop report was released in 2009 with a national average of 51.4%.A score of 100% is rated as exceptional. A score between 95% and 99% mean that the municipality is managing its drinking water quality with excellence, while a score from 80% and 95% are rated as very good. A score between 60% and 80% is rated as good, and a score between 50% and 60% is reasonable. Below 50% means that improvement is needed.Assessing more than just water qualityIn all, 931 water systems within 153 of South Africa’s 287 municipalities were audited for this year’s report.Molewa stressed that just because a municipality was not awarded Blue Drop status, did not mean that its water was unfit for human consumption.This is because Blue Drop certification goes beyond the quality of drinking water to include aspects such as risk management, operations and asset management of water services.The programme is not voluntary, but is an incentive-based regulatory initiative which requires water services institutions to provide information in line with the legislative requirements of Section 62 of the Water Services Act.In this year’s Blue Drop report, Ekurhuleni in Gauteng came out as the top scoring municipality, with a score of 98.95%. It was followed by the City of Johannesburg with 98.92% and Mogale City with 98.79%.Ethekwini in KwaZulu-Natal, Tlokwe in the North West and the City of Cape Town were the next highest scoring municipalities, respectively.The top performing province is Gauteng – with a score of 98.1%, followed by the Western Cape (94.2%) and KwaZulu-Natal (92.9%), respectively.The remaining six provinces all notched up scores below that of the national average of 87.6% – with Mpumalanga ranked as the worst performing province at 60.9%, followed by Northern Cape (68.2%).The greatest improvement was seen in the North West province, with an increase from 62.3% in 2011 to 78.7% in 2012.Molewa commended the Victor Kanye Local Municipality (formerly Delmas), in Mpumalanga, which increased its score from 18.26% last year to 80.07% this year.She also congratulated the Thembisile Local Municipality, also in Mpumalanga, which increased its score from 27.77% to 78.30%.Tackling problem areasHowever, Molewa said she was concerned about the worst scoring municipality – Koukamma (5.6%) – and iKwezi (7.9%) both in the Eastern Cape, which are among 15 municipalities that have received warnings over the quality of their water.“Communities have been informed not to drink the tap water without improving the quality first by either boiling or using other methods of purification,” she said, adding that her department was working closely with these municipalities to bring the water quality up to standard.Molewa said despite the 15 warnings, her department now knew where the problems were and would be attending to them.Helgard Muller, acting deputy director-general of policy and regulation at the department, said the involvement of water boards and the private sector were key to improving the management of water services.While other countries’ water audits only looked at the quality of water, the Department of Water Affairs also considered risk management and asset management in the Blue Drop report.Of the 98 municipalities that achieved Blue Drop certification, 38 were serviced by water boards and about 20 by the private sector.last_img read more

Maoist-prone Odisha districts put on alert

first_imgCollectors, superintendents of police (SP) and candidates contesting elections in the Maoist-prone districts were alerted by Odisha Director-General of Police (DGP) B.K. Sharma in the wake of the Maoist landmine blast in Dantewada district in adjoining Chhattisgarh on Tuesday that killed five persons including a BJP MLA.Polling will be held on April 11 in Koraput, Nabarangpur, Kalahandi, Berhampur Lok Sabha constituencies and 28 Assembly seats. The parliamentary constituencies include Malkangiri, Koraput, Rayagada, Nabarangpur, Kalahandi, Nuapada and Gajapati districts that have Maoist presence and border Maoist-prone regions of Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh. The Maoists have given a call for poll boycott.After the Dantewada violence ahead of the first phase polling, Mr. Sharma also issued safety directives for candidates. He advised them not to move out during night and to inform security personnel about their travel during the daytime.Two landmines foundOn Tuesday, a CRPF team unearthed two landmines planted by Maoists under a culvert in the Andharghati area of Adava police station limits in Gajapati district. These landmines contained around 50kg explosives.On April 11, a total of 60,03,707 voters will exercise their franchise at 7,233 polling booths, of which 2,375 have been identified as critical. Personnel of the Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) will be deployed at 777 booths, which are mostly in Maoist-infested areas.The Border Security Force (BSF) has been entrusted with election security duty in Odisha for the first time. Inspector-General (IG) Ashwini Kumar Singh pointed out that paramilitary force has been deployed for safe conduct of polling in major Maoist-hit areas of Nabarangpur and Koraput parliamentary constituencies and 14 Assembly seats.last_img read more

San Miguel-Alab coasts to 8th win

first_imgTrending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City AFP official booed out of forum Ancajas stops yet another challenger 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Read Next NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises LATEST STORIES Balkman fired 21 points while Josh Urbiztondo notched 17 points built on five triples as Alab rolled to its eighth win in 12 games to move within half a game off Thailand club Mono Vampire at third spot.Justin Brownlee also had another solid outing with 16 points and 10 rebounds while Ray Parks Jr. poured 16 points for Alab which now owns two road wins over the Slingers this season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutIn another match, former PBA first round pick Keith Jensen powered CLS Indonesia Knights to an 82-72 victory over Westports Malaysia Dragons at MABA Stadium in Kuala Lumpur.Jensen, who replaced compatriot Rudy Lingganay, debuted with 18 points. —CEDELF P. TUPAS Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC View comments The San Miguel-Alab Pilipinas partnership got off to a rousing start in the Asean Basketball League on Sunday.With Renaldo Balkman leading another balanced charge, Alab hammered out an 82-69 victory over the Singapore Slingers for its fifth straight win at OCBC Arena in Singapore.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READlast_img read more

Mercedes-Maybach Vision 6 unveiled at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, Hero launches 17 new Hero Sprint Pro cycles and more

first_imgMercedes-Maybach Vision 6 unveiled at Pebble Beach Concours d’EleganceMercedes has presented a new concept car at this year’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on August 21st. So far, the company has shown silhouette-like teaser photos – but here it is now in full glory: The Mercedes-Maybach Vision 6 Concept.Hero launches 17 new Hero Sprint Pro cycles; priced up to Rs 15,000Hero Cycles launched 17 bikes under its new brand Hero Sprint Pro, priced between Rs 7,000 and Rs 15,000.Delphi, Mobileye join hands to develop autonomous carsAuto parts and electronics company Delphi Automotive is joining with Israeli software maker Mobileye to develop the building blocks for a fully autonomous car in about two years.Lamborghini pins hope on Urus SUV to double sales by 2019Lamborghini expects to at least double production to 7,000 vehicles a year by 2019 once it rolls out a new SUV, but it will not lose its focus on making sports cars, Chief Executive Officer Stefano Domenicali said Tuesday.last_img read more