Collectors, superintendents of police (SP) and candidates contesting elections in the Maoist-prone districts were alerted by Odisha Director-General of Police (DGP) B.K. Sharma in the wake of the Maoist landmine blast in Dantewada district in adjoining Chhattisgarh on Tuesday that killed five persons including a BJP MLA.Polling will be held on April 11 in Koraput, Nabarangpur, Kalahandi, Berhampur Lok Sabha constituencies and 28 Assembly seats. The parliamentary constituencies include Malkangiri, Koraput, Rayagada, Nabarangpur, Kalahandi, Nuapada and Gajapati districts that have Maoist presence and border Maoist-prone regions of Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh. The Maoists have given a call for poll boycott.After the Dantewada violence ahead of the first phase polling, Mr. Sharma also issued safety directives for candidates. He advised them not to move out during night and to inform security personnel about their travel during the daytime.Two landmines foundOn Tuesday, a CRPF team unearthed two landmines planted by Maoists under a culvert in the Andharghati area of Adava police station limits in Gajapati district. These landmines contained around 50kg explosives.On April 11, a total of 60,03,707 voters will exercise their franchise at 7,233 polling booths, of which 2,375 have been identified as critical. Personnel of the Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) will be deployed at 777 booths, which are mostly in Maoist-infested areas.The Border Security Force (BSF) has been entrusted with election security duty in Odisha for the first time. Inspector-General (IG) Ashwini Kumar Singh pointed out that paramilitary force has been deployed for safe conduct of polling in major Maoist-hit areas of Nabarangpur and Koraput parliamentary constituencies and 14 Assembly seats.
A U.P. police inspector in Bareilly district has threatened a law student of invoking the National Security Act and Gangsters Act against him for tweeting against stubble burning in his area. In a telephonic conversation that went viral on Friday, Surendra Singh Pachauri, SHO, Sheeshgarh, could be heard asking Ishaq Khan, a student of law, how he dared tweet about stubble burning without his permission. “Come to the police station immediately, else the NSA and Gangsters Act will be invoked against you,” Mr Pauchauri could be heard saying in the audio clip.When Mr Khan pleaded that he only pointed out about pollution in his neighbourhood and that he was a differently-abled person, Mr Pachauri said he would correct his disability.In a statement, the Bareilly police responded that Mr Khan tweeted on November 9 and an FIR was registered against Chandrasen for burning stubble under Sections 278, 290 and 291 of the IPC. The Circle Officer of Baheri had been asked to conduct an inquiry into the behaviour of the SHO.Ramanand Rai, CO, Baheri told The Hindu that he found the audio clip to be authentic. “The language used was not something that we expect from a public servant. The SHO seemed to be under pressure because of the Ayodhya verdict. As the charge was made by a Muslim against a Hindu, he thought it could snowball into a major issue. That’s why he was unusually harsh.”SP (Rural) Sansar Singh said the report has been submitted and soon action will be taken against the erring official.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man City chiefs see Van Bronckhorst as Guardiola successorby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveGiovanni van Bronckhorst has been handed an access-all-areas role at Manchester City.The Mirror says City approached former Feyenoord coach Van Bronckhorst – who has signed a contract that has put him on the payroll.The plan is for him to remain in Manchester if it proves a good fit.Pep Guardiola’s contract with City expires in the summer of 2021.And after seeing rivals Manchester United flounder in the six years since Sir Alex Ferguson retired, the Spanish executives who run the club for Sheikh Mansour want to put a succession plan in place.Van Bronckhorst will spend the next year getting to know the inner workings of the club that has become the dominant force in English football over the last decade.He is currently working alongside close friend Brian Marwood, City’s highly-influential Football Administration Officer.
The government shut down since December 2018. Pool Federal workers have begun asking for help on GoFundMe as a government shutdown nears the three-week mark.Government employees have set up roughly 1,000 fundraising pages as they seek help in meeting their expenses, said a GoFundMe spokeswoman in an email statement. Campaigns on the crowdfunding platform seek anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars for everyday expenses, such as utilities and groceries.”We deploy proprietary technical tools and have multiple processes in place to verify the identity of campaign organizers and the beneficiary of the campaign,” said the spokeswoman. “Before money is transferred, an individual’s information, including their banking information, must be verified by our payment processor.”A search on the site for the term “government shutdown” returned more than 1,650 results. The campaigns have raised approximately $150,000 in total, according to the platform’s spokeswoman.”It’s affecting over hundreds of thousands of federal employees across the US in different federal agencies,” Brandon Taijeron, a Department of Justice employee whose story was included in The Guardian article, wrote on his GoFundMe page. “I’m on my last leg as far as finances being taken care of, putting food on the table, making sure my wife and son have everything they need, getting to and from work even though we’re not getting paid right now.”The government shutdown started in December because the House and Senate couldn’t come to agreement on funding President Donald Trump’s $5 billion border wall, according to CBS News. Over 420,000 government staff are reportedly working without pay.First published on Jan. 10, 5:50 p.m. PT.Updates on Jan. 11, 7:20 a.m. PT: Adds GoFundMe spokeswoman statement. Politics Digital Media Internet Services 30 Comments Share your voice Tags
A Prothom Alo IllustrationTwo people were killed in what Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) called gunfights with them in Badda and Mirpur of Dhaka early Thursday, reports news agency UNB.Senior ASP Kamruzzaman of RAB-1 said Maharaz Khalifa, 40, a drug trader from Banani area, was killed in a gunfight with the force in Satarkul area of Badda around 1:15am.A RAB-1 team raided the area after being tipped off that Khalifa and his associates were there for drug dealings. The criminals opened fire as soon as the RAB team reached the spot, triggering a gunfight, Kamruzzaman said.Khalifa, wounded in the gunfight, was arrested and taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where physicians pronounced him dead around 3:15am.Two firearms and 300 yaba pills were recovered from the spot. A member of RAB was injured during the gunfight, the ASP claimed.The other deceased was identified as Byanga Babu, 38, second-in-command of the notorious ‘Shahadat Bahini’, said major Kazi Saifuddin Ahmed, second-in-command of RAB-4.Babu was killed in an alleged gunfight with the law enforcement in Beribadh area of Mirpur.Babu, who had fled to India few years ago, recently returned to Dhaka to take part in a killing mission, said Kazi Saifuddin Ahmed.Acting on a tip-off, a RAB team went to the spot. Babu was killed in an ensuing gunfight between RAB and the criminals around 3:15am, he said.The deceased was wanted in 20 cases, including at least seven for murder, said RAB.A pistol, a magazine and one round of bullet were recovered from the spot.According to a human rights body, Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK), at least 421 people were killed in alleged gunfights, crossfires or shootouts with the law enforcement agencies in Bangladesh in 2018.In the first six months of 2019, the number of such killing was at least 200, the rights body said on its website.
Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Al OrtizBlenda Barnes was one of the area residents who spoke at the meeting to express her concern about the waste pits in the San Jacinto River.In a packed room with hundreds of residents from Channelview, Lynchburg, Highlands and other towns close to the San Jacinto River, officials from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) explained their proposal to clean up the contaminated materials from the waste pits.The plan would entail removing more than 200,000 cubic yards of toxic waste.Many residents expressed support for the EPA’s proposal.One of them was Jessica Woods, who lives in the impacted area and is the executive director of the Highlands-Lynchburg Chamber of Commerce.“As a resident, as a business owner, as a parent, as a community leader, I also personally support the full removal of this,” Woods said when she took the microphone to provide her comment.However, others voiced their concerns over the proposal and said that containment of the toxic materials by reinforcing the cap that currently covers the pits could be a better option.“I’m concerned about digging it up, the trucking of the waste to another location. I’m wondering if there’s not more risk moving it, wrecks, transporting it,” commented Debra Woods, who lives in Seabrook.Al Ortiz | Houston Public MediaElected officials such as Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan (first from the right) and U.S. Congressman Gene Green (second from the right) also attended the meeting. Both of them support the EPA’s proposed plan to clean up the waste pits.The waste pits contain dioxin, a toxic chemical that can cause reproductive problems, damage the immune system and cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization.D.J. Brewer was one of the residents who said she is worried about where the contaminated materials would eventually be stored.“Where are y’all going to put the waste that y’all are moving? That’s other huge concern I have. Y’all going to put it in those little fifty gallon drums or whatever and go stick it in Maryland or Louisiana?” Brewer asked, as she addressed the EPA representatives.Samuel Coleman, deputy regional administrator for the EPA’s Region 6, which covers the state of Texas, emphasized at the end of the meeting this part of the process has to focus on feedback from the community.“We will be pouring through those comments, both technical comments and other comments, to make sure that we have fully considered every suggestion that we receive,” Coleman noted.The public comment period on the proposal will end on November 28th and Coleman anticipates the EPA will make a final decision in the first half of next year. 00:00 /02:10 X Share
Area schools continue to weigh security options following the shooting in Santa Fe.The Cleveland ISD Police Department says 1000 donated door blocks will be distributed to hundreds of classrooms in Cleveland, Tarkington, and Splendora ISDs.The blocks slip under a door and use a steel pin to keep it from opening.Cleveland ISD says it’s also received 100 gun locks through a donation. It plans to distribute the locks to families in the district who ask for them. Share
Researchers develop optical technique for controlling electron spins in quantum dot ensembles Explore further The physical setup of the quantum computer consists of a superconducting transmission line cavity coupled to an ensemble of electron spins and a transmon Cooper pair box. The cavity dimensions allow 100 billion electron spins to be coupled to the cavity mode, which could be used to make hundreds of physical qubits. Image copyright: J.H. Wesenberg, et al. With this issue in mind, scientists have recently proposed a quantum computing scheme that uses an ensemble of about 100 billion electron spins. They show that hundreds of physical qubits can be made from these collective electron spin excitations. The researchers, Janus Wesenberg from the University of Oxford, and coauthors from Oxford, Yale University and the University of Aarhus in Denmark, have published the proposed system in a recent issue of Physical Review Letters.The system can also perform qubit encoding and provide one- and two-bit gates for quantum computing. In the setup, the electron spins are coupled to a superconducting transmission line cavity. In turn, this cavity is coupled to a transmon Cooper pair box that carries out the gate operations.“A single electron spin only interacts very weakly with its environment: this makes it a good quantum memory, except that it is very hard to initialize or read out,” Wesenberg explained to PhysOrg.com. “In the ensemble register we make use of the fact that the collective interaction between an ensemble of billions of spins and a microwave cavity is greatly enhanced by the so-called superradiant effect. This makes it possible to transfer a microwave photon (carrying a qubit), from the cavity to the spin ensemble in a few tens of nanoseconds compared to a significant fraction of a second for a single spin. Once the photon has been transferred to the ensemble, it lives as an delocalized excitation. “The state of the system is a quantum superposition of each spin being excited, that is, flipped relative to the very strong magnetic field that has been applied to the system. There is an infinite number of ways in which a single excitation can be superpositioned in this way, and these can be described in terms of spin waves. By applying a magnetic gradient pulse, we can transfer an excitation that lives as one kind of spin wave to another kind of spin wave.”As Wesenberg added, the study brings up two independent new ideas. “Firstly, there is the idea to couple an ensemble of electron spins to a stripline resonator,” he said. “While this is a novel idea, it is a straightforward extension of previous work (by Peter Zoller and many others), on coupling ensembles of polar molecules, Rydberg atoms etc. to such stripline cavities. The main advantage of using electron spins is that they can simply be smeared onto the stripline substrate without any need for complex trapping arrangements. Secondly, there is the idea of using the holographic principle to address a large number of modes in the ensemble by means of a controllable magnetic gradient. This is a relatively straightforward extension of work by one of the authors (K. Mølmer), on holographic storage.”As the scientists explain in their study, one of the advantages of this setup is that a large number of spins can be controlled without requiring single spin measurement. Depending on the materials used, the system could achieve spin coherence times of up to tens of milliseconds, which could be used to build a solid-state device.“The immediate plan is to demonstrate experimentally that this works,” Wesenberg said. “First in the semi-classical setting (which is essentially electron spin resonance spectroscopy), and later in the quantum regime. Experiments to this end are underway at Yale and Oxford.”More information: J.H. Wesenberg, et al. “Quantum Computing with an Electron Spin Ensemble.” Physical Review Letters 103, 070502 (2009). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.103.070502Copyright 2009 PhysOrg.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or part without the express written permission of PhysOrg.com. (PhysOrg.com) — While researchers have already demonstrated the building blocks for few-bit quantum computers, scaling these systems up to large quantum computers remains a challenge. One of the biggest problems is developing physical systems that can reliably store thousands of qubits, and enabling bits and pairs to be addressed individually for gate operations. Citation: Proposed Quantum Computer Consists of Billions of Electron Spins (2009, September 9) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2009-09-quantum-billions-electron.html This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
Kolkata: Bhatpara Municipality chairman Arjun Singh, who has recently joined BJP, failed to present the budget for the municipality on Wednesday after a majority of Trinamool Congress councillors moved a no-confidence motion against him.Singh, who has become a candidate on BJP’s ticket from the Barrackpore Parliamentary constituency, called for a budget session on Wednesday afternoon. But the executive officer of the municipality did not give the permission as a no-confidence motion had already been moved against him. The officer said that the chairman has no right to hold the budget session. He has to take permission from the district magistrate if he wants to do so. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataSome Trinamool Congress councillors from the municipality said that Singh can present the budget only after he wins the confidence of the municipal board, through secret ballots of the councillors. Otherwise, he has no right to present budget at the municipality. Incidentally, it may be mentioned here that 21 Trinamool Congress councillors had moved a no-confidence motion against Singh soon after he joined BJP. The councillors consulted Firhad Hakim, the state Urban Development and Municipal Affairs minister, Jyotipriya Mallick, the state Food and Supplies minister and president of the North 24-Parganas unit of the party and Partha Bhowmick, party MLA from Naihati, before moving the no-confidence motion. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateBhatpara has a total of 35 seats, of which 34 were won by Trinamool Congress. One councillor belongs to the Left Front. With the death of a councillor and Singh joining another party, TMC’s tally now stands at 32. The majority of TMC councilors, including the vice-chairman Somnath Talukdar, said that they would not join any meeting called by the chairman, unless he wins the confidence of the majority of the councillors. Some senior Trinamool Congress leaders from the district said that the budget would be presented at the municipality, following the ouster of Singh, after the majority of TMC leaders vote against him in secret ballots.
Categories: VanSingel News 28Jun Rep. VanSingel announces July office hours State Rep. Scott VanSingel invites residents to attend his July office hours to discuss their thoughts and concerns regarding the state government.“Meeting with residents is a top priority of mine. It is extremely important as a legislator to be accessible to the community,” VanSingel said. “I welcome anyone in need of assistance or with questions to join me.”Rep. VanSingel will meet with constituents at the following times and locations:Monday, July 177:30 to 8:30 a.m. at The Depot Restaurant, 22 W Main St. in Grant;9 to 10 a.m. at Cronk’s Oakridge Restaurant, 9103 Mason Drive. in Newaygo; and6 to 7 p.m. at Sally’s, 103 N. Charles St. in White Cloud.No appointment is necessary to attend office hours. Anyone unable to attend who would like to voice a question or concern to the representative may contact his office at (517) 373-7317 or ScottVanSingel@house.mi.gov.