The RTE presenter passed away on Monday evening after a three-year battle against motor neurone disease, having been diagnosed with the fatal neurological disorder in April 2010. Last year he was recognised with a People of the Year Award for his work in highlighting the debilitating disease, while in the course of his sports broadcasting career, he covered a large number of national and international events, including the Cheltenham Festival since 1990. Press Association Although able to cross all sporting codes, Murray will forever be associated with racing and was given an industry award by Horse Racing Ireland in 2010. Murray is survived by his wife, Anne, daughters Kate and Patricia and his sister, Mary. Leading National Hunt jockeys Davy Russell and Barry Geraghty paid their respects to Murray on Twitter. Russell said: “Very sad to hear of the passing of Colm Murray. A true sports fan and gentleman who adored his racing. Thoughts are with his family.” Geraghty said: “Very sad news to hear of RTE sports correspondent Colm Murray’s passing. He was such a nice man and a great supporter of racing and all sports.” Taoiseach Enda Kenny said Murray was the voice of Irish racing for many years and he lit up the coverage of racing with his passion and enthusiasm. ”I had the pleasure of being in Colm’s company recently and could see he was a proud Westmeath man who brought out the best in those around him with his affability and gift for storytelling,” he said. ”I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to his wife, Ann, and daughters, Patricia and Kate, and sister, Mary. ”He is also a huge loss to all in RTE and my thoughts are with all who had the pleasure of knowing Colm during his lifetime.” Colm Murray, one of Ireland’s best-known racing broadcasters, has died at the age of 61.
ST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC) – Vincentian stroke-maker Sunil Ambris has been rewarded for his recent prolific scoring and named in a West Indies 15-man squad for the two-Test tour of New Zealand starting later this month.The 24-year-old, who played a single One-Day International in the five-match series against England last September, is the only new face in the unit, replacing Kyle Hope who failed in successive series against England and Zimbabwe recently.Ambris smashed 608 runs at an average of 43 for Windward Islands Volcanoes in the last first class season and was one of the leading scorers in the Regional Super50 earlier this year when he pummeled 423 runs at an average of 70.Last month, he tipped the scales heavily in his favour with two hundreds in the three-match “Test” series against the touring Sri Lanka A, as he emerged the leading batsman in the series with 278 runs at an average of 55.Sunil has replaced Kyle Hope in the squad, and this is on the basis of his consistent performances across formats and his outstanding returns for the Windies ‘A’ team in the ‘Test’ series against Sri Lanka ‘A’,” chief selector Courtney Browne said.“This type of consistency is very welcomed by the panel.”Hope has struggled in international cricket, gathering just 41 runs in six Test innings on a difficult tour of England.The 28-year-old right-hander also failed to produce against minnows Zimbabwe, managing just 60 runs in three innings.“Kyle is encouraged to return to the first-class championship and turn in the strong performances his talent suggests he can deliver,” Browne said.Apart from Hope, selectors have kept faith with the unit that lost 2-1 to England last August but impressed in winning the Caribbean side their first Test on English soil in 17 years with the stunning result at Headingley.They completed a 1-0 victory over Zimbabwe last week, winning the first Test by 117 runs before being held to a draw in the final match, and Browne said this series win was underpinned by a strong collective effort.“The panel congratulates the players and the entire team management unit on the series victory in Zimbabwe,” the former Test wicketkeeper said.“It was a strong team effort and highlighted by those players that did not do as well as expected on the recent tour of England, playing critical roles in the team’s success.“Their success augurs well for the selection process and the philosophy of continuity which has underpinned our selection for the tour of New Zealand, and not the chopping and changing mentality.”West Indies will undergo a camp in Brisbane starting next week before travelling to New Zealand where they open that tour with a three-day match against New Zealand A starting November 25.The first Test bowls off December 1 at the Basin Reserve in Wellington, with the second starting eight days later at Seddon Park in Hamilton.SQUAD – Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite (vice-captain), Sunil Ambris, Devendra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Roston Chase, Miguel Cummins, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Kieran Powell, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach.
The Lutheran Church in Liberia (LCL) yesterday broke ground for the construction of a denominational media duplex that would operate a radio and television station. The ground-breaking ceremony was held at the St. Peter Lutheran Church on 14th Street in Sinkor, Monrovia, where the stations will be constructed. It coincided with the climax of the Church’s 498th celebration of Reformation Day. Church leaders at the ceremony said the media outlet would help in catering to the spiritual needs of all Liberians especially its many members.The main objective of the media center, according to the authorities of the church, is to promote the kingdom of God through the spreading of the gospel as well as disseminating the teachings of the Lutheran Church. When completed, the stations will be named the Luther Radio/Television, in honor of the founder of the Lutheran Church, Martin Luther.According to some officials, the church has already procured some of the equipment for the radio and television outfit.Performing the ground-breaking ceremony, the Bishop of the Lutheran Church, Dr. Jensen Seyenkulo, said it was a blessing that the Lutheran Church is on the verge of building another legacy to the glory of the kingdom of God. He expressed the hope that the media establishments would be used to propagate God’s message to his people on earth.Bong County Senator Jewel Howard Taylor, who officiated, said that the stations should not be like other religious stations that are entangled in secularisms or propagating political activities, thereby ignoring the purposes for which they were established. She is of the conviction that the Lutheran media outlet, when completed, would be “voices of the voiceless.” She made an initial contribution of US$500.Meanwhile, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Power TV/Radio, Aaron Kollie, who is a member of St. Peter, pledged his professional expertise to help train those who will work for the Luther stations.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
GATINEAU, Que. — A military funeral will be held Saturday for a Canadian soldier killed in a parachute-training exercise in Bulgaria.Bombardier Patrick Labrie, a six-year veteran of the Canadian Forces based out of CFB Petawawa, died from injuries sustained while parachuting near the Bulgarian village of Cheshnegirovo last month.Military police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of Labrie, originally from Buckingham, Que.Roads will be shut Saturday morning in Buckingham as a military procession runs from a local legion branch to Saint-Gregoire-de-Nazianze parish.The military said in a release Friday there will be a ceremonial gun salute, with 36 blank rounds fired by 12 soldiers “as a mark of respect for their brother in arms.”It says the family has requested privacy, and Labrie’s funeral will not be open to the public or media.Previously, his grieving parents asked for a thorough investigation to prevent a similar tragedy in the future.“Our life has been torn apart. Patrick was a ray of sunshine in our life. He loved everyone and he was loved by everyone,” his mother, Julie Rivard, said in June.“We sincerely hope the investigation will be thorough in order to ensure this situation does not happen to another young soldier.”Labrie was one of about 100 Canadians participating in a U.S.-led training exercise in Bulgaria called Swift Response when he died.Officials have said he was conducting a low-level jump at night, and that he had jumped from a Canadian military plane and was using Canadian equipment.The Canadian Press