HC rejects Nagpur Cong. chief’s plea

first_imgNAGPUR: The Nagpur bench of the Bombay High Court on Thursday rejected a petition filed by Nagpur Congress president Vikas Thakre demanding recognition of his nominated membership of the Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC).A Division Bench of Justices Bhushan Dharmadhikari and Arun Upadhyay refused to admit Mr. Thakre’s petition challenging the election of Congress leader Kishor Jichkar as a nominated member of the NMC.Mr. Jichkar’s nomination was supported by a rebel Congress group, which had revolted against the party’s city unit and appointed its own leader of Opposition in the NMC earlier this year. Seventeen of the 29 Congress corporators were recognised as the original Congress group by the Nagpur Divisional Commissioner. The Nagpur bench of the Bombay High Court had also endorsed Tanaji Wanve’s appointment as the leader of Opposition by rejecting the city Congress’s petition challenging it.Mr. Thakre had alleged in his petition that his nomination to the NMC was the legal one as the rebel group was yet to be recognised by the Divisional Commissioner when he had filed his nomination. After Thursday’s ruling, he plans to move the Supreme Court. Both claim BJP hand“This is the BJP’s conspiracy to divide the Congress. They are scared that I would expose their scandals on the floor of the House. If this is allowed, everywhere people will walk away from the party and form their separate groups. The party will take action against the rebel group,” he told The Hindu.The rebel group, however, alleged that the revolt was forced because of Mr. Thakre and his mentor and former Nagpur MP Vilas Muttemwar’s “high-handedness”. “Under Mr. Thakre’s leadership, the party performed dismally in the NMC election earlier this year, and he lost his own seat. He was given a ticket to contest the Assembly election and lost, but still continues to be the city chief. How can one person be allowed to have a complete say in matters when he failed in elections continuously?” a corporator from the rebel group asked.He said, “Mr. Thakre has a secret understanding with the BJP and has weakened the Nagpur Congress. Our revolt has kept the real Congress alive in Nagpur.”last_img read more

No Bahrain GP this season, Indian leg likely in Oct

first_imgThe inaugural Indian GP could be held on October 30 as scheduled earlier after Bahrain Grand Prix organisers on Friday withdrew from the current F1 season, exactly a week after the race was re-instated by the Formula One governing body.Bahrain GP was originally a season-opening race but was postponed due to civil unrest in the country.International Automobile Federation’s (FIA) World Motor Sport Council had reinstated the race on June 3 after having a fresh look at the prevailing situation in the country but many drivers and teams had shown apprehensions in going to the troubled nation.Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone was asked to re-examine the decision.FIA had pushed the Indian race to December to accommodate the Bahrain GP but now it seems that the Indian GP could now be held as scheduled.The Bahrain GP organisers, however, promised to return next season.”Whilst Bahrain would have been delighted to see the Grand Prix progress on October 30th in-line with the World Motor Sport Council’s decision, it has been made clear that this fixture cannot progress and we fully respect that decision,” Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) chairman Zayed R Alzayani said in a statement.”Bahrain has absolutely no desire to see a race which would further extend the calendar season and detract from the enjoyment of F1 for either drivers, teams or supporters. We want our role in Formula One to continue to be as positive and constructive as it has always been, therefore, in the best interest of the sport, we will not pursue the rescheduling of a race this season,” the statement read.advertisementAlzayani said they are looking forward to host the race in the 2012 season.”We look forward to welcoming teams, their drivers and supporters back to Bahrain next year and would like to extend our deepest gratitude to our supporters, including staff, volunteers, sponsors, private businesses and the general public, for whom I know this year’s decision will be a disappointment.”- With inputs from PTIlast_img read more

I am not married to filmmaker Aditya Chopra, says Rani Mukerji

first_imgBollywood actor Rani Mukerji, who has rubbished rumours that she is married to filmmaker Aditya Chopra, says she has left her marriage destiny to god. “My name has been linked with several people, but upar waala (god) will decide who will become my life partner,” Rani said in reply to queries in Rajat Sharma’s show Aap Ki Adalat, aired on India TV.Mukerji, whose latest film Aiyyaa released Friday, reacted strongly to media reports about her secret marriage to Aditya, elder son of acclaimed filmmaker Yash Chopra.”The media can’t even decide which year the wedding took place. Was it 2007, or 2009, or 2012? Let them (media) make up their mind first.””I am fortunate that the people of this country consider me as their daughter and they are worried about my marriage. But birth, death and marriage are in the hands of ‘upar waala’ and what is ordained, shall happen,” said the actress, who sported a rudraksha string on her left wrist.”As far as my marriage with Aditya is concerned, I can only say, Main toh abhi kunwaari hoon (I am still unmarried),” she added.last_img read more