We will play our game, says JC skipper

first_imgJamaica College’s captain Allando Brown says their 4-0 mauling at the hands of St George’s College in the FLOW/ISSA Super Cup final two weeks ago is now in the past.The Old Hope Road school’s ace defender said St George’s are the favourites to win today, but they are eager to avenge that defeat and retain the Manning Cup.”The last game against St George’s is history. We are looking towards this Manning Cup final against St George’s to come out and give our best. We are the underdogs and we want to create an upset,” he told The Gleaner.He insisted that St George’s were only better on the day, and he has full confidence in his team to deliver a better performance against their North Street rivals.”On the day, they were better. We lost the (Super Cup) game, but this (Manning Cup) is really our focus. We tried to play St George’s game (in Super Cup final) and that didn’t work, so we are coming with our normal game. Look for a better performance from us, and hard work and guts as always,” he added.last_img read more

Miner slapped with 3-year sentence for 25g of ganja

first_imgA miner will now spend the next three years of his life behind bars after he was given a hefty sentence by City Magistrate Judy Latchman for having 25 grams of cannabis in his possession.Twenty-five-year-old Ravi Dev Mohan appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Friday and pleaded guilty to the charge of having the illegal substance in his possession on May 1 at 4 Miles, Port Kaituma, North West District (NWD).Police facts state the accused was riding an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) when he was stopped and searched, during which the ganja was discovered in his possession.The substance, according to the ranks, was discovered hidden in a black plastic bag which contained several parcels in the defendant’s hoodie.As such, he was arrested and charged with the offence. Mohan was also fined $30,000 by the Magistrate.last_img

Bull thief jailed for 2 years

first_imgA Charlestown, Georgetown man, who admitted that he stole a bull in August, was on Wednesday jailed for two years.Ryan Robinson had previously pleaded not guilty to the charge, which stated that on August 11, he stole the bull valued at $180,000, property of Abdul Azeez.However, on Wednesday, when the case was called again at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court, the 55-year-old man informed Magistrate Faith McGusty that he wanted to change his plea to guilty. In plea of mitigation, Robinson told the court, “I had to do what I had to do”.The prosecution’s case contended that on August 11 at approximately 23:45h, Azeez heard a noise coming from his backyard and upon checking, he observed Robinson tying a rope around the bull’s neck and pulling the animal out of the yard.A report was made to the Police and Robinson was charged. As such, the Magistrate jailed him for two years.last_img

Watson back in the Winners’ Circle at 2019 National Rodeo Finals

first_imgPrior to the eighth go-round, on Wednesday, Watson managed to place third in the seventh round of saddle bronc with a score of 87.5. – Advertisement -Canadian bronc riders have now won four straight go-rounds in Las Vegas this week. Watson has been competing at the National Finals Rodeo all week and has now been able to earn a total of $83,615 for his outstanding performance. The National Finals Rodeo wraps up this Saturday, December 14, in Las Vegas. LAS VEGAS, N.V. – Local cowboy Jake Watson, of Hudson’s Hope, was back in the Winner’s Circle on Thursday, December 12, after finishing in first place in the eighth go-round of the saddle bronc event at the 2019 National Rodeo Finals in Las Vegas with a score of 89.5 points on Calgary Stampede’s Stampede Warrior.last_img

Council approves further investment in Rage hockey team

first_imgBernier said it is important to note the latest amount approved is not a grant but an investment, meaning the team is obligated to pay the amount back to the city proportionate to any repayment made to the team’s other investors. To date, the directors of the Dawson Creek Rage Society have invested $412,815.The mayor added the investments come on the condition that chief administrative officer Jim Chute and chief financial officer Shelly Woolfe are involved in making financial decisions for the team.”If we’re going to be invested in this to make sure we have the team, we want to be able to have a bit more control and say on what happens there,” he said. “We’re not just writing cheques to a not-for-profit group to have a hockey team, we want to make sure we’re a part of the decisions to make it as financially viable as possible.”Bernier said he was impressed by the on-ice product in the team’s inaugural season, and believes fans have much to look forward in the upcoming season. He said what is left for the city and the team to do to make it financially-sustainable is to get more fans in the seats.”It’s how we market and have a production for the hockey games that will be excited about and come out for. That’s the challenge now. If we can put enough people out there for the games, then the money that will be generated will offset the money that has been put in.”Advertisement “If we didn’t have an anchor tenant, the taxpayers of Dawson Creek would have to subsidize the facility even more.”He added council believes a Junior A hockey team is still the best option for a regular tenant in the facility.”We looked for quite a few years at our options for an anchor tenant, and we struggled to get to the point where we even got the Rage. Right now, if we don’t have the Dawson Creek Rage, there are no other opportunities that we’re aware of. There’s really not too much out there that would work for a community like ours other than a Junior A franchise.”When Dawson Creek was first awarded an NAHL franchise back in 2009, city council committed $625,000 over three years to help the team with start-up costs. Earlier this year, while city staff and the team’s board of directors finalized a business plan for the Rage, council approved an additional $100,000 over the original commitment for a total allocation of $350,000 in this year’s budget. This latest investment brings that total to just over $450,000, and the additional funding will have to be found by reallocating other items within the city’s recreational budget.Advertisement On Monday, council approved a request to provide the Dawson Creek Rage Society with $102,500 to cover a payment to the North American Hockey League as per the team’s franchising agreement. The payment represents a travel subsidy paid to other teams, which was to be paid on Jan. 31, 2011. The team had tried to negotiate with the league to waive the payment, but was unsuccessful.Councillors expressed hesitation in granting the request after the they already approved a grant to the team above what the city’s initial commitment to the team was.”There’s nobody who is a bigger hockey fan than I am, but I am not at all happy with this,” said councillor Terry McFayden. “As recently as the end of May we had a meeting where we approved their business plan and their financing for this upcoming season, and here we are six weeks later and they are back for another $100,000.”- Advertisement -Councillors Sue Kenny and Bud Powell said they were also concerned, but felt the investment was needed in order to keep the EnCana Events Centre’s anchor tenant viable.”Like any business case, there’s a lot of money up front before you see the result,” said Kenny.Mayor Mike Bernier said the success of the hockey franchise is critical to the success of the events centre because it generates revenue and pays facility costs that otherwise be borne by taxpayers.Advertisementlast_img read more

Disabled, supporters raise funds for Easter Seals

first_imgLA MIRADA – Being the leader of anything was something Mary Moorman never thought she would experience. But Saturday, Moorman was at the head of a crowd of hundreds of people taking part in Easter Seals’ 3-K “Walk With Me” fund-raising walk through Knott’s Berry Farm. The event raised about $60,000 for Easter Seals’ disabilities services, organizers said. Moorman, 42, has suffered for years with depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and some physical problems that have impeded her ability to hold a job. “It’s a very big honor,” the La Mirada resident said. “I’m looking forward to it. I’m overweight, but I can handle it.” Moorman said she held a job at one point, but problems with her back forced her to quit. Now she is working on her General Education Diploma for high school and hopes to have a job by the end of the summer. “As long as my back doesn’t hold me back,” she added. Her long-term goal is to work with people who have developmental disabilities. “I’d like to be working with them closely, helping them with their behavior modification and helping them achieve their goals,” Moorman said. “It’s a challenge. But I’ve taken on a lot of challenges and succeeded.” Moorman was one of the 10 “honorary ambassadors” chosen to lead Saturday’s walk. All of the ambassadors are Easter Seals clients who have managed to increase their independence in the past year through hard work, said Marianne Tomich, spokeswoman for Easter Seals. “\ is leading the walkers, since part of her recovery is physical,” Tomich said. “She wasn’t in good physical shape when she came to us. She had some heart and weight problems. So it’s a big achievement for her to be leading a … walk.” Last year, more than 600 people participated in the Easter Seals walk, she said. The 85-year-old nonprofit organization employs 13,000 staff members and thousands of volunteers, who provide disability services through 550 centers nationwide, as well as advocating for legislation protecting the disabled. According to the group’s Web site, one in every 5 Americans is affected by a disability. Fifty-four million Americans are considered disabled, with almost 6 million of them being children. Of the nation’s nearly 47 million uninsured, 20 percent of them are disabled children or adults. pam.wight@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

‘He’s an alien’ – Reaction to Ronaldo’s fourth hat trick in seven games

first_img Cristiano Ronaldo Cristiano Ronaldo has been at it again.The superstar might have endured a disappointing season with Real Madrid, but his individual form has been unaffected.When Portugal went a goal down to Armenia in a Euro 2016 qualifier on Saturday evening, it looked like it was going to be a long and embarrassing night for Fernando Santos’s side.But then Ronaldo stepped up to the plate, smashed in a stunning hat trick and, once again, saved his country’s skin.How did football fans react to the 29-year-old’s latest achievement, you ask?Well, as you might expect, there was quite a few compliments flying around… 1last_img

Transfer report: Tottenham and Southampton set for transfer fight over £17.5m Porto star?

first_img1 Giannelli Imbula Tottenham and Southampton are on alert after it emerged that Giannelli Imbula could be heading for an early Porto exit.The Portuguese club held off competition from both Premier League sides as well as AC Milan to land Imbula for around £17.5m during the summer, ending one of the longest sagas of the window.But, according to reports in France, Imbula is finding it hard to adapt to life at Porto.He has struggled to impress in his first five league appearances and has been hauled off three times.Now it has been suggested that he is already planning to quit Porto.AC Milan, desperate to land him last month, could be back in for him, while Saints and Spurs to try their luck at signing him again, too – and they could move as early as January.last_img

Chelsea boost: Brazilian star signs contract extension

first_img Ramires Chelsea and Jose Mourinho have received a boost ahead of a potentially critical period, with Ramires signing a contract extension until June 2019.The Brazil midfielder, who was linked with Juventus during the summer, has committed his future to the Blues, who are enduring a challenging season in defence of their Premier League title. Chelsea announced the deal on Thursday evening.Mourinho, who in August signed a four-year contract committing himself to Stamford Bridge until June 2019, was subject to the first vote of confidence of Roman Abramovich’s 12-year ownership on October 5.Since then, Chelsea have won one of their four matches – against a free-falling Aston Villa; the latest defeat was on penalties to Stoke in Tuesday night’s Capital One Cup tie – while Mourinho has faced disciplinary action from the Football Association.The 52-year-old Portuguese had until 6pm on Thursday to respond to a misconduct charge following his half-time touchline dismissal at West Ham last Saturday.Mourinho is already appealing a separate £50,000 fine and suspended one-match stadium ban for comments made after the October 3 loss to Southampton, a result which prompted the vote of confidence.It is not expected either case will be heard before Saturday’s match with Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool.Ramires is likely to start against Liverpool, with his energy key in midfield for the Blues.The 28-year-old joined from Benfica on a four-year deal in 2010 and has won every major club honour since switching to Stamford Bridge.Ramires, who has already made 241 appearances for the Blues, said on chelseafc.com: “I am very happy to sign a new contract with Chelsea.“My family and I are very happy here in London and in the past five years the club has lifted every major trophy.“I hope to be an important part of many more successes in the next four years.” 1last_img read more

Cabbies striking over GPS rule

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NEW YORK (AP) – Taxi drivers angry about a new rule requiring the installation of global positioning systems and credit card machines in cabs are planning a second one-day strike in six weeks today. The city was preparing for the strike by the Taxi Workers Alliance by instituting a contingency plan that lets drivers pick up multiple passengers and charge zone-based fares. The touch-screen monitors let passengers pay by credit card, check on news, map their taxi’s current location and look up restaurants and entertainment. The alliance, which claims to represent about a fifth of the city’s 44,000 licensed cab drivers, opposes the technology, saying the 5 percent surcharge on each credit card transaction amounts to a wage cut and the GPS device allows cab firms to track drivers.last_img read more